Author Topic: This is kind of 'off topic'....lube  (Read 603 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
This is kind of 'off topic'....lube
« on: May 22, 2003, 06:12:20 PM »
Since getting into cast bullets and hearing about all the different lubes, I got to thinking. Talk about weird stuff to start out in a re-loading room, check this out. I have heard many people say that they use pure Bee's wax and Olive oil...and nothing else added. I got to thinking about that and thought....that would probably make a nice remedy for Chapped Lips. I dabble in candle-making so I have bee's wax, and a low wattage hotplate for keeping wax warm. I went out to the shop last night and melted the wax and added olive oil until it was just the right consistency when cooled in a teaspoon. This 'Soft Lube' is excellent for either bullets OR LIPS. I took it a step further today and went to the Health Food Store and got a small bottle of 'TEA TREE OIL'. I re-melted my mixture and added about 30 drops of the Tea Tree Oil, and it is wonderful. I had a few 'almost empty' Chapstick type thingies, and screwed them back down to the bottom, and filled them up. It takes about a teaspoon to fill these things and they charge 2-3 bucks for them, even more for the really good stuff. This IS really good stuff. I melted about a jigger of wax and about the same amount of olive oil, maybe about 50 cents total, then the spendy part, it was 5 bucks for the Tea Tree oil, and I figure I probably used about 75 cents worth of that. So I am up to a little more than a buck. I ended up with enough of this stuff to fill about 40 of those little tubes. Should be enough to last years.
Just though I would share that one...if you are already making bullet lube...yoursignificant other will love it if you crank out some of this stuff. Just dont use any of your stuff that you use for lead
....make it count

Offline Bob/FLA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
lip balm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 02:23:51 AM »
Hey Robert
Just to pipe in, muzzleloaders have used the beeswax/oil lube for lipbalm, treating leather, protecting gun steel, etc, for a couple huundred years.  You can use just about any oil.  My favorites are: bear oil, and olive oil.  Some folks add mint oil or wintergreen oil for scent.  

Using the bear oil on my mocs, I've seen deer take up my backtrail and walk within 30 yards...look right at me...and keep on coming, nose to the trail.  

See ya,
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com