Author Topic: OSHA Will Stop Shipment of All Class 1 Explosives ... To YOU  (Read 954 times)

Offline John Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=285452

Dick Trenk is the Pedersoli US Factory Represenative ...
===============================================

have sent the following comment to the OSHA site and it will be posted.
Dick T.
========================================
Proposed changes by OSHA as listed in OSHA-2007-0032 .
Any action which causes any firm which now is able to deliver black powder and smokeless powder to cease such delievry to retail stores and to individual residences is of urgent concern to the 4,000,000 members of the NRA as well as unknown millions of other law abiding American sportsmen and women who buy, store and legally use small arms powder to make reloaded ammunition as well as in the use of muzzle loading firearms.
FedEx, UPS, DHL and other carriers are well aware of current Hazmat rules and already practice safe handling and compliance with those rules.
If OSHA imposes additional requirements on such delivery firms the costs of compliance will either force them to cease such deliveries to American citizens or may result in them delivering only in large quantities to those few retail outlets which are willing to store such large amount of powder (storage size limits exist already).
Only those citizens able to personally shop at those few retail stores would be able to purchase their reloading and shooting powder.
The political fall out of such a rule change will create a "bootleg market" and make lawful sportsmen and woman become law breakers, smilar to what was seen during the "prohibition" era.
Present powder users are well aware of the many "anti-gun" organizations who are trying to completely disarm Americans. OSHA action which results in gunpowder becomming non-available to honest law abiding Americans will be seen as a "win" for such anti gun groups and also viewed as evidence that OSHA officers were influenced by such groups.
Resulting anger and frustration among these millions of gunpowder users will also be reflected during election time and elected incumbents (and OSHA officers) who failed to prevent the situation will be rightly or wrongly blamed.
OSHA must not make it difficult or more costly for present gunpowder delivery firms to carry on with their present services to those Americans who participate in legal shooting sports of any type.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Regards
John Boy

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
Re: OSHA Will Stop Shipment of All Class 1 Explosives ... To YOU
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:34:23 AM »
Gents ... here's what the NRA finally has to say about the proposed OSHA Rule ... Proposed “Safety” Regulations Would Dry Up Ammunition Sales < Click on Link
Time to contact your Congressmen before July 12th!
Regards
John Boy

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:07:47 AM »
I am supprised something this important only a couple of folks replyed. I think some around here have their heads up their ***%% all the time and figure this will never happen or effect me. Well this one sure could if your a shooter!

Here is a list of the Senators that are on the OSHA Subcommittee:

SUBCOMMITTEE MEMBERS

Democrats by Rank

Patty Murray (WA)
Christopher Dodd (CT)
Tom Harkin (IA)
Barbra Mikulski (MD)
Hillary Rodham Clinton (NY)
Barack Obama (IL)
Sherrod Brown (OH)
Edward Kennedy (MA) (ex officio)

Republicans by Rank

Johnny Isakson (GA)
Richard Burr (NC)
Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Pat Roberts (KS)
Wayne Allard (CO)
Tom Coburn (OK)
Michael Enzi (WY) (ex officio)

I would suggest you contact them tomorrow on the 5th plus your regular Fed Senator and Rep that represents you and tell them this is poorly worded and you are against it. IF it is not broke it does not need fixing!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »
Well I left a comment on the OSHA website and I called my two US Senators and called every one Republican and Dim on the Subcommittee List. Don't know what else there is left to do. While it made me ill to call some of the dims and we all know who  I did it anyway knowing that they will not listen to us but at least they know that we called in opposition.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »
Some folks here evidently think this is no big deal. Maybe it is maybe it is not. Considering that Obama and Hillary and Teddy on on the Committee bothers me I do not trust them and we know they are anti gun. A couple of things you can do you can email the Senators or call them that are on the sub committee I posted the list at the Pot Bellied Stove Board. You also can call your State DNR and tell them their Pittman - Robertson Funding  is about to dry up and Email Rush Limbaugh he has time to air this and if we could get him on our side on this it sure would not hurt.  rush@eibnet.com

Offline duxburybuck

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 08:12:14 AM »
This is off of the Predator Masters forum, posted by nmleon:

Some of you may have followed the recent threads here and here.

These threads express concerns about proposed revisions to OSHA standards that according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation would effectively shut down the small arms ammunition industry.

I have spoken with both Browning and Hornady today concerning this issue AND IT IS VERY REAL. If this revision of standards is allowed to proceed, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY AMMO OR RELOADING COMPONANTS.

This is an e-mail I received just a few minutes ago from Kirk Jenson at Browning:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Leon,

The VP of Research and Development along with one of our designers just returned from the semi-annual SAAMI meetings. Yes, it is true. I was going to send you a copy of the NSSF bulletin, but I see you have received it already. It is spelled out exactly like we were debriefed earlier. Hopefully the NRA will fight this with all of their strength. We have been urging everyone to call their congressmen to air their views. This revision would cripple if not completely destroy our industry. It is just the next way they are trying to put us out of business. I guess they figure if they can not get rid of the firearms, then get rid of the ammunition.

Best regards,

Kirk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you follow the link above to the NSSF website, they have a boilerplate letter and/or the heading that has to be on any communication regarding the proposed revisions.

This link will let you find out who your representative in the House is. Click on their name and you should find contact information.
http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

This link will take you to the Senate website where you can get the contact info for your senators.
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

This a copy of the e-mail I'm sending to my Reps and Senators. Feel free to copy and paste, modify whatever. If you want to copy and paste this post to put into any other forums you may visit, hit the "quote" button (so links will be copied) and copy and paste it.

Dear (Senator or Congressman) [fill in the blank],

I am very concerned about changes to standards concerning small arms ammunition proposed by OSHA (Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032, Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866).

These changes will have the effect of crippling or killing the small arms ammunition industry and the consumer firearms industry soon afterward. As such this can only be viewed as a backdoor attempt to take away my Second Amendment rights.

I urge you to take whatever action is needed to ensure that these proposed revisions are not allowed to be enacted.

Time is of the essence, since the period of public comment expires on July 12.

Respectfully Yours,
[your name and contact info]

Offline duxburybuck

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »
I've got most of my emails out now its time to call.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »
On today's show, Rush discussed the proposed OSHA rules targeting ammo/primers/powder. He covered the main points in the NRA release and called it "backdoor" gun control.

Rush 24/7 members can get the audio at his website after he goes off the air today.

Offline boondocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »
Sent mine out today to Spector and Casey and emails. I encouraged all I know to do the same. I"ll be damned if I am going to use my firearm for tomatoe stakes.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 03:47:36 PM »
Rush's Transcript:

RUSH: "The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)," this is from the NRA website, by the way, "has proposed new rules that would have a dramatic effect on the storage and transportation of ammunition and handloading components such as primers or black and smokeless powder. The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder and primers as 'explosives.' Among many other provisions, the proposed rule would: 'Prohibit possession of firearms in commercial 'facilities containing explosives' -- an obvious problem for your local gun store." (laughing) You couldn't possess guns in a gun store because they might be exploding. "Require evacuation of all 'facilities containing explosives' -- even your local Wal-Mart," because ammo is an explosive, "during any electrical storm."   So if you're in a Wal-Mart and there's an electrical storm, you've got to evacuate all facilities "containing explosives -- even your local Wal-Mart" -- during an electrical storm, which is a hoot, and it would "Prohibit smoking within 50 feet of 'facilities containing explosives.'"

Now, as the NRA website says, "It's important to remember this is only a proposed rule right now, so there's still time for concerned citizens to speak out before OSHA issues its final rule. The [NRA and other organizations] will all be commenting on these proposed regulations, based on the severe effect these regulations (if finalized) would have on the availability of ammunition and reloading supplies..."   So people who are aware this say, "You know, this looks like a backdoor trick.  The way to go after guns is to make sure that you can't buy ammo for them," and this is just a federal agency.  This is not legislation.  This is just safety regulations from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which would dry up ammunition sales. 

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: A friend of mine sent me a note about a story going on in Sandusky, Ohio. It's a big issue there.  A newspaper published all 2700 people in the community with a concealed carry permit.  This, of course, made the fur fly, and the gun people there, the pro-gun people there got information on the newspaper editor, where he lives, everything about him, and they published that in their publications, in Sandusky, Ohio -- and that's the way to fight this stuff!

You know, journalists give out people's privacy and so forth -- and these are not public people. These are just 2700 people with concealed carry permits.  These are not public people.  Some of them might be, I don't know, but most of them are just average citizens.  So here comes every bit of information on them, their names and so forth and so on, and you go tell the journalist, "How would you feel if everything about you was exposed?"

"Well, I'm just a journalist!  I just convey the news. I'm an innocent bystander."

"No, you're not."

They can't handle it. When they come under the same scrutiny that they scrutinize everybody else with, that does cause the fur to fly. 

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:10:57 AM »
I have already sent OSHA my comments about this. Below is the info and a sample comment that you can use.
FYI, when you get to the site that is included in this post, you will have to do a search of the document so you can make a comment. Copy and paste this in the search box and you will go right there.
Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 (Explosives—Proposed Rule)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proposed "Safety" Regulations
Would Dry Up Ammunition Sales

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has proposed new rules that would have a dramatic effect on the storage and transportation of ammunition and handloading components such as primers or black and smokeless powder. The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder and primers as "explosives." Among many other provisions, the proposed rule would:

Prohibit possession of firearms in commercial "facilities containing explosives"—an obvious problem for your local gun store.

Prohibit delivery drivers from leaving explosives unattended—which would make it impossible for delivery services such as UPS to deliver ammunition or gun powder.

Require evacuation of all "facilities containing explosives"—even your local Wal-Mart—during any electrical storm.

Prohibit smoking within 50 feet of "facilities containing explosives."

It's important to remember this is only a proposed rule right now, so there's still time for concerned citizens to speak out before OSHA issues its final rule. The National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Association will all be commenting on these proposed regulations, based on the severe effect these regulations (if finalized) would have on the availability of ammunition and reloading supplies to safe and responsible shooters.

The public comment period ends July 12. To file your own comment, or to learn more about the OSHA proposal, go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket Number OSHA-2007-0032"; you can read OSHA's proposal and learn how to submit comments electronically, or by fax or mail.
-----------------------------
OSHA Docket Office Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 U.S. Department of Labor, Room N-2625 200 Constitution Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20210 Re.: Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 (Explosives—Proposed Rule)

Dear Sir or Madam:
I am writing in strong opposition to OSHA's proposed rules on "explosives," which go far beyond regulating true explosives. These proposed rules would impose severe restrictions on the transportation and storage of small arms ammunition—both complete cartridges and handloading components such as black and smokeless powder, primers, and percussion caps. These restrictions go far beyond existing transportation and fire protection regulations.

As a person who uses ammunition and components, I am very concerned that these regulations will have a serious effect on my ability to obtain these products. OSHA's proposed rules would impose restrictions that very few gun stores, sporting goods stores, or ammunition dealers could comply with. (Prohibiting firearms in stores that sell ammunition, for example, is absurd—but would be required under the proposed rule.)

The proposed transportation regulations would also affect shooters' ability to buy these components by mail or online, because shipping companies would also have great difficulty complying with the proposed rules. For instance, the rules against leaving any vehicle containing "explosives" unattended would make it impossible for companies such as United Parcel Service to deliver ammunition to businesses or consumers without massive changes in their operations (such as putting a second driver on any truck that might happen to deliver a case of shotgun shells).

There is absolutely no evidence of any new safety hazard from storage or transportation of small arms ammunition or components that would justify these new rules. I also understand that organizations with expertise in this field, such as the National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Association, will be submitting detailed comments on this issue. I hope OSHA will listen to these organizations' comments as the agency develops a final rule on this issue.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »
OSHA falls under the Health Education, and Welfare Dept.,,,or is it Dept of Labor? These are parts of the Executive Branch. The proposed changes are 'regulations', not laws; and so your Congressman might just shrugg this off and say 'Oh well'! There is alot of this kind of thing going on in executive branches on the state level and certainly several areas on the Fed level right now. If I understand this issue correctly you need to send your message right to the top, and you need to understand how this could break up the 'gun caucus' voting block in 2008.

....TM7

OK so I just sent Emails to VP Cheney and President Bush. It can't hurt!