Author Topic: Scope Rings?  (Read 619 times)

Offline quaddog

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Rings?
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
Got my encore yesterday,  and I'm going to put a leupold VX-II  6x18x40 or 4x12x40 with warne base and rings. What height rings would I need? Thanks

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
Re: Scope Rings?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
Ring height on an Encore can be a very tricky thing.

You need to give more information.  What barrel contour do you have?  Does it have open sights?  Do you want to leave the open sights on the rifle?  A shorter scope may set in behind the back sight, but a longer scope will hover over the top of your sight-therefore you will need a taller set of rings?  Another problem with the Encore's is the back of the scope.  You need to have enough room to cock the hammer.  Do you have a hammer extension? 

Sorry to inject all this crap-but if you do not know the answers to all these questions, then you will probably order the wrong rings(it's your money).  I would order the mediums, with 40mm objective lenses.  This will be a little high with Warne's(they are by nature a little taller), but they work well for me.  Also you made the best choice by buying the Warne's.  IMO they are the best.  Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:26:44 AM »
I put a VX II - 3x9x40 on a tapered 6.5 x 55 barrel and used medium rings.  My base was a one pc Weaver.  Cocking it is a little tight with gloves but I usually take them off when I shoot.  I wouldn't want the scope any higher above the barrel and if the hammer clearance was the issue, I would put a swivel hammer on it.

Offline quaddog

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
Tom,  The gun has  the factory 24" 270 barrel on it, I plan on taking off the open sights. Having enough room to cock the hammer was one of my concerns ,I don't have a hammer extension on it. Thanks for the help I appreciate it . Robert

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
If you've never used these http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=332743&t=11082005 you may want to consider them. These are the Burris Signature rings with the synthetic insert. They will not scratch your scope tube and they do an excellent job of holding the scope tight. I know they are a bit pricey, but I think a darn nice product.

MHO

Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
I'll second the Burris Signature Zees, as Dave said, they work excellent, won't cause ring marks and don't require lapping. I replace the cross screw with socket head screws, I broke a Burris screw once tightening  it, so I don't trust them any more. Burris replaced the ring set, so I ended up with an extra ring which I put on the Encore barrel. They seem to be in short supply now, but Midsouth has the best regular price on them at $28, Midway has em on sale a couple times a year at $25. My 375H&H PH barrel has a Leupy VX1 4-12x40 mounted in mediums, there's sufficient clearance at the hammer for use without an extension.

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00023420521

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain