Author Topic: New guy on the block  (Read 388 times)

Offline capnduane

• Trade Count: (0)
New guy on the block
« on: June 18, 2007, 03:10:30 PM »
Hi All!, I have been a Handiholic since I bought my first 20ga. H&R shotgun back in the early '80s. I sent it in to H&R and they fitted  22 Hornet and  30/30  bbls to it, I had the Thutty thutty reamed out to Ackley improved and have taken several deer and wild pigs with it here in Calif. It has the casehardened receiver and is in synthetic stocks. The 30/30 ACK is super light, as the old bbls had a much thinner profile. Next one was a 45/70 synthetic ,( about '98) which I have had fitted with 50cal muzzleloader and 12ga slug bbls. I have not had the juevos to fire the 12ga with slugs yet!! :o  Then I got a beautiful 25/06 Ultra with Cinn lams, and had a 20in 243 bbl fitted to it for a walk around scouting rifle. Its usually in synthetic stocks for my scouting trips, and has taken a few sneaky Coyotes and ground squirrels. Then I found a 270 Syn handi on Gunbroker for cheap, and recently had it fitted with a  20ga bbl.  Latest aquisition is a 22in 243 in Camo lam stocks, and I just had a 223 fluted bull barrel fitted to it. it is a extractor bbl, my first, and has a 1-9 twist. I received a bunch of GI 63gr Winchester Ranger ammo and its been shooting into about 1 1/2ins. Tried a couple of different handloads, and the best so far has been the 50 Sierra with 24gr of Varget. Still nothing to get excited about, though. I had the trigger worked over by nef when they fitted the bbl, and did the o ring thing on the forend. Groups are not verticle stringing, are nice and round. This last Sat, the rifle seemed to want to start to group, would get 3 touching and then a couple of flyers. Maybe just needs more shooting to break in?  Thats it as far as Handis!  I used to post on the old H&R board and chuckle at Morties antics! 30/06, good for Moose ta squirrel! Rem Green box ammo! Guess Mortie didn't like squirrel much, as I don't think there would be much squirrel left! Guess you could scrape the goo off the tree trunk and make soup!

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: New guy on the block
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
My 1 in 10" .223 ultra likes the 45gr Winchesters, I'm getting 3550-3590 fps at about 15' from the muzzle, and can usually get groups around 1" to 1.5" at 200 yards.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »
Welcome aboard. You are among good people here. Charlie

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:29:50 PM »
Mortie is NOT here and we don't talk about him HERE.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline capnduane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »
Oops! Sorry Greybeard, didn't know that was a sore spot, lesson learned, No problemo! :-[

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »
Welcome!  ;D