Author Topic: .223 or .219  (Read 682 times)

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
.223 or .219
« on: June 17, 2007, 01:07:25 PM »
My frame is off to be fitted with a .223 barrel with the intentions of having it rechambered to .219 zipper. Because of bad experiences with cases sticking, I have not wanted a Handi Rifle that is not chambered for a rimless cartridge. I do not want to carry a cleaning rod to punch out empties, nor do i want to file a notch to flip them out with a screwdriver.

In the approximate 4 months I have been watching this forum, I have heard very little about sticking cases. Certainly not as much as the defunct forum that Marlin hosted had in it. I would like to hear from some of you. Any problems with stuck cases? Is it worth the expense to rechamber just to have a rim on my cases? Cost of ammo will not be an issue as I will reload. Rifle will be used for crows and groundhogs out to about 350 yards.

Please do not take this as a slam against these rifles as I am very fond of these things. I have been shooting 158's, Toppers, an Handi's as long as I can remember. My only issues were with rifles chambered for the 243 and 308.  Thanks !!   :)
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .223 or .219
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:14:52 PM »
Sticking cases is a moot issue with extractor barrels which your .223 barrel will be, spring ejectors were sometimes at fault for sticking brass, but even they can be dealt with by increasing ejector pressure and making sure brass and chamber is clean and dry, and by not shooting too hot of loads which can also cause stuck brass in an ejector barrel, but isn't an issue with an extractor barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
My .270 stuck Every time, with Factory or hand loads... I Polished the chamber as I read here and have not had a case stick since. When they Were sticking, I Dental Pick made it only annoying, it popped them out in a split second. Even after the polishing, the chamber is still Much tighter than my Rem 700, so I could go further with no worries. The .223, .243, and .17HMR have never had one stick even after a day of shooting reloads. ~Ace~

Edited to add... All are Ejectors

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 01:57:08 PM »
Greg,

I have finally got to go out and sight in the Handi Ultra that my wife got me for Christmas.  I shot it a few times with a cheap scope on top of it and had it dialed in at 100yrs. with the same handload I was shooting out of my Remington 700.  I thought that if it shot near as well as the 700 it would be a keeper.  Well, long story short I sold the 700!  As far as cases sticking I have not experienced this even one time.  My barrel is the extractor type.  I even managed to hang out at the nearby bean field and zap two ground hogs.  One at 245yrds and the second at 352yrds lasered. ;D  You will enjoy your .223!
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »
I have never had a case stick in any of mine reload or factory loads 223  204  17MII  20ga 410 none. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »
When i first got mine and started loading for it. I had stuck cases all the time. I polished the chamber as best i could understand how to at that age and then notched it out. since then it has only stuck a few here and there. I recently started shooting alot out of the little gun and now make extra sure that all my cases are dry and have no excess lube on them as that was what i think the problem was. since i started that i havent had a problem at all. Go with the .223! Just my .02$!
Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »
My frame is off to be fitted with a .223 barrel with the intentions of having it rechambered to .219 zipper. Because of bad experiences with cases sticking, I have not wanted a Handi Rifle that is not chambered for a rimless cartridge. I do not want to carry a cleaning rod to punch out empties, nor do i want to file a notch to flip them out with a screwdriver.

In the approximate 4 months I have been watching this forum, I have heard very little about sticking cases. Certainly not as much as the defunct forum that Marlin hosted had in it. I would like to hear from some of you. Any problems with stuck cases? Is it worth the expense to rechamber just to have a rim on my cases? Cost of ammo will not be an issue as I will reload. Rifle will be used for crows and groundhogs out to about 350 yards.

Please do not take this as a slam against these rifles as I am very fond of these things. I have been shooting 158's, Toppers, an Handi's as long as I can remember. My only issues were with rifles chambered for the 243 and 308.  Thanks !!   :)

You won't have a problem with stuck cases with the extractor barrels...so..I wouldn't worry about that at all...and with what these guys are shooting with their 223's here...I would say that will make you very happy...Going the 219 route ..well...I don't have any first hand info on it..but if your wanting one..and you have a good donor barrel..and don't mind the extra work of forming cases..then go for it..but..I don't see the need to do this over the 223 just because of the rim...If just wanting to be different..and have a rim..I probably would do a 22 Savage HP Imp..and not worry about having to using any form dies..and have a slightly faster round...all from the same 30-30 case..but...that's just me...then again...with the 22-250's available that's a whole lot easier all the way around... ;)...I just started shooting the 223 round..and not in a Handi...it is plenty accurate for the guys who shot it at this years PD shoot down in OK....so...the choice is yours..

Good Luck

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
I've only had a stuck case in a handi twice,once with a 22 hornet which was solved by polishing the chamber and once in 223 when a part broke in ejector which was sent back to H&R and they fixed and shipped back at no charge.Like most have said I would polish the chamber as soon as I received it and should be good to go.Now if you really want a 219 zipper,it is a fine round and I remember someone on here had one made so maybe they will reply and tell you how it worked out for them.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 11:24:36 AM »
Marv has a .219 Zipper Handi, loves it. He's out of touch right now or I'm sure he would have offered his advice. Seems to me he hand reamed his too!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »
Tim, Marv did help me with advise on the .219 when  I first started looking. He said it was a fairly easy conversion. He did his by hand. I'm just a little apprehensive about doing it myself, and  Wayne's charge to do this conversion seems  reasonable.

Mac, I settled on the 219 because Wayne had a reamer in stock and I would not have the extra expense of renting another. I just about went .224 Clark because I have access to form dies, even thought of the 22-30/30  :-\ !!

Everybody else, thanks for your input! The .219 equals 222 performance and I sort of feel like I'm taking a step backwards from the 223. Think I will try it a while before I modify it. Now if NEF will just hurry and send it back! ;D ;D ;D

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO