Author Topic: Pyrodex RS and the "Flour Burrito"  (Read 1106 times)

Offline lesmoore

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Les Moore  Austin Tx
Pyrodex RS and the "Flour Burrito"
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:52:46 AM »
I shoot Pyrodex RS these days, no hazmat fees and you can buy it at most WalMarts and Bass-Pro Shops.  For a good discussion on Black Powder and it's substitutes see...  http://www.chuckhawks.com/difference_black_powders.htm
If your powder chamber is deep enough you can use the same load I use for my golf-ball cannon.  My chamber is 1.73" and I've found that with Pyrodex the minimum charge is one level tablespoon for a reliable BOOM.  I go for a heaping tablespoon....  because Pyrodex is  lighter by volume than black powder, the load is about equivalent to 1 oz. black powder.  This way you can get about 15 blank shots out of a 1 lb. can of Pyrodex or black powder.  The trick is to use a  "flour burrito" topping the powder charge to get enough pressure for a BOOM instead or a poof.
;) Make sure you replace your wife's baking flour or you won't get any biscuits or gravy.  ;)

My standard load for a golf ball cannon is 1 to 2 tablespoons of "Pyrodex RS"  or black powder, wrapped in aluminum foil, tamped into the barrel with a wooden dowel. Next:  3 to 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour (3/1 ratio to powder) wrapped in foil like a burrito tamped into the barrel tight.  This load is LOUD and can be fired as a blank or topped off with a golf ball.  The flour burns and adds smoke and the foil is destroyed.  Good Clean Fun!

I just ordered another 'golf ball' barrel from Missouri Cannon Works yesterday.....  John is good people.
      -----  UPDATE  12/18/07  -----   
I still have not received anything from
John at Missouri Cannon Works.....  only broken promises.
  WARNING  !!  John is NOT good people.

haiku:

NOW...  is the fuse lit.
     Are you too near...  or too far?
          Bliss lives on the edge.

Offline lesmoore

• Les Moore  Austin Tx
OOPS !
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:59:11 AM »
OOPS.... hit the quote button by mistake.   ;)
haiku:

NOW...  is the fuse lit.
     Are you too near...  or too far?
          Bliss lives on the edge.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
Re: Pyrodex RS and the "Flour Burrito"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 06:54:08 AM »
Thanks for the idea Lesmoore. I have some American Pioneer B.P. substitute I was wondering what to do with. I will start w/ a reduced charge and work up. I have heard that the flour could cause a fire hazard  w/ dry grass so use w/ caution.  M223

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 09:02:17 AM »
Gent's as a rule the synthetics aren't recommend for cannon use. To many issues.  Just like with black powder as you get into the larger bores a different set of physics come to play.  I am unaware of any pressure testing with those synthetic in the big cannon bores.

In the small bore cannons that are in the callibers more associated with muzzleloading rifles or hand guns you should be okay treating recommended loads for those guns as MAX loads for you cannons.

But when you go larger than  3/4 inch you going into untested grounds.

Stick with Black powder. It isn't availlble at WalMart, but is available.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 02:45:26 PM »
thanks D.D. I have an overbuilt g.b. mortar with a powder chamber less than .750 diameter. I have a small quantity of American pioneer ffg that I thought I would use up via the " flour burrito method" starting with a reduced charge. Once it is gone it is strictly Goex for me.