Author Topic: Crown?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Rj 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Crown?
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:46:02 AM »
I have a 22" BB Handi in a 223 and have just noticed that where it is recessed in there is no crown into the rifling. It is completely flat to the edge of the rifling. Does there need to a crown? Like I said I was looking and just thought it looked odd. By the way it shoots a fb bullet much better than a bt. Any thoughts and does anyone else own one like this?

Rodney

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Crown?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:06:52 AM »
Lots of ways to crown a barrel.  Most important thing is for the bullet to exit evenly around the bore, unless the crown is perfect it will shoot flat base bullets better than boat tails because the base of the bullet is at the end of the barrel for a longer time and the gasses have more time to deflect it if the crown is not even.  Yours is normal, Remington uses that type also. Only way I know of to get one perfect is to put the end of the barrel in a center on a lathe, then turn the outside at the muzzel so that the bore is exactly centered, then put the turned portion in a steady rest and face the crown.  An 11 degree taper from the bore out is generally considered to produce the best accuracy, couldn't prove it by me.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Rj 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Crown?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:56:51 AM »
I sort of figured it was normal for the handi's. Is this the norm for all NEF's? Has anyone recrowned them with a great improvement in accuracy?