Author Topic: More Than Just Spare Ammo.................  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
More Than Just Spare Ammo.................
« on: June 02, 2003, 09:50:05 AM »
When hunting I carry a "daypack"(medium sized back pack) that I carry all my unnecessary "necessities".  I toss in spare ammo, small first aid kit, emergency kit, spare socks(two pair), tee shirt, underwear, satellite phone, Leatherman type tool, cigarette lighter, matches, space blanket and what food and snacks I feel like taking(also depends on weather and location).  This leaves me wondering what others carry their stuff in.  Backpack, hip-pack, pack-board or what????   What do you carry with you while hunting?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline kdub

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 12:52:10 PM »
Just took inventory.  Most things stay in the pack, some added during the hunt:  spare ammo, space blanket, small 1st aid packet, TOILET PAPER!, matches, lighter, field dressing kit (shoulder length rubber gloves, plastic bags, ties, etc - water is scarce where I hunt), 1/2 doz wet wipe packets, compass, 1/4" rope, spare boot laces, extra hunting knife, surveyor's flagging, self made bags of trail mix and a small tube of sunblock (can get bright and hot out here).
"Keep off the Ridgeline"

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 04:22:44 PM »
My basic daypack carries . . . camera, flashlite and spare batteries, small 1st aid kit, toilet paper, GPS, compass, hunting knife, binocs (if not around my neck), zip fastners, space blanket, hard candy, a Mt. Dew or 2, waterproof matches and small piece of sand paper, jerky, sandwiches, plastic gloves, disposable heat packs (yes I do carry the used ones and the wrappers out with me) usually a belacalava (wool hat) and extra glommets (wool mittens with the fingers like gloves) and  a deer drag .
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 04:51:09 PM »
I had been using a day pack, but last winter I bought one of those bowhunting still hunter vest/pack from Cabelas.  It's a harness rig and seems to carry everything I did in the backpack in little easier.   Worked well on the HAM javelina hunt last February.

Like kdub, water is scarce where I hunt and a bit of my space is occupied by a hydration blatter with drinking tube.  I take along most of what everyone else mentioned, but add to that a sergical hemostat for pulling out cactus splines and other gotcha's.

My rig varries with the area I will be in and the type of hunt.  I like to take along adequate items so that I can spend the night out on a kill without too much discomfort.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 06:16:56 PM »
I carry a pocket sized survival kit made from a old tin Band-Aid box.  The tin itself is a cup, boiling pot & signal mirror. I soldered (lead free) the bottom, and shined the outside.

It contains these items; 4 band-aids, 1 razor, 2 safteypins, 2 needles, 10ft thread, several hooks, jigs, split shot & 20ft fishing line.  One very thin lockback knife, tweezers, 20ft wire, 4 nails, 2 types of matches, 0000 steel wool, a candle, a metal match, a pencil and notepaper. There is a 18" square peice of aluminum foil, 2 quarters, 9 asprin, 3 cold tablets, 9 vitamens, 6 Halazone Tablets, 2 teabags, antiseptic ointment, 2 pepto-bismal tablets, a whistle, and a list of rescue signals.  On the outside of the box I have 6 ft of black tape wrapped on it as well as several feet of grade line, and some heavier cord. It weighs about one pound and easily fits in my coat pocket.  It is packed in tight so you have to empty it all out to get at any of it.

In my other pockets I carry my lunch, cell phone, binoculars,  compass, GPS, map, pocket firstaid kit, gutting gloves, toilet paper, hand warmers, matches & 0000 steel wool.  I like to carry all this in my pockets, as it dosen't seem as heavy as it does in a day pack, and I can be quieter while still-hunting in the woods with out a pack.

I carry a bota of water as it will collaps and not make a shloshing noise while walking as a hard canteen will.  On my belt is my knife and leatherman, cartridges and revolver.

If I am just going to my deerstand for the day I do carry a daypack. Or if I am riding "Sota", I carry more stuff too.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 06:06:13 PM »
:D Hey there folks,

Wow, Must be my age, but maybe part of the reason my load is as light as it is, is where I hunt. If I am going on a bit of a longer hunt, probably have the 4 wheeler which can carry all the extras,

Usually carry no more then a fanny pack.

The one thing I am really liking is the addition of the GMRS radios which have been carried the last two seasons.  Used to hunt alone with no real thought about it, but now it is not my choice.

Have been out just too many times when the "other fellow" wasn't where he should be. Have even had some long walks because of it. I LIKE THE RADIOS!!!!!!!!

Got turned around myself about three years ago. Wasn't really lost as I walked to the top of a hill - got a look at things and took a compus reading. Knew what direction I needed to head and started out. Had a case of bacterial Meningitious (SP) that spring that almost did me in so I was weaker then I would have liked (still am) so was really tired when I got to the road.

Wish I would have had the radios then to let the pardner know I was OK. He had a good nap waiting. He is easy going but I would have been worried and wouldn't have known where to start looking. The Price has REALLY come down in the last two years.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 06:35:37 PM »
I use a Cabelas fanny pack, although i am contemplating switching to a back pack.  I carry most everything everyone else does: folding hunting knife, leatherman tool, water bottle, 10 rounds of spare ammo, first aid kit, prepackaged survival kit in a can, another survival kit of my own with a space blanket and lighter, parachute cord, a Silva compass and topo maps of where i am hunting, another brass waterproof match container with strike anywhere matches and a compass on the end, a small votive candle, surveyors flagging, a short bone saw, lunch and snacks, sometimes a cabelas down vest, spare wool gloves to double up my glomitts with, a neck gaitor, chemical hand warmers, cell phone ( a new addition), some safety pins, zipties and latex gloves, and a couple of big plastic garbage bags.  Probably too much crap, but I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
Regards,

Tom

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 05:53:01 PM »
:D Hey there folks,

I still say WOW!  You fellows really go out loaded for bear.

One thing I keep seeing is some type of protective gloves which I guess are used for such times as you have oppertunity to take a critter.

Do you really use such things or is it just another item to fill up your already overloaded packs?

In the many years I have been afield, I have yet to see anyone carry such an item, let along use rubber gloves during the gutting process.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 06:05:16 PM »
I've used them the last few years.  Helps to keep your hands clean.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 04:30:47 AM »
Darrell,

You would be surprised how useful those laytex examination gloves are.  They weigh about nothing, much lighter than water to wash off in.

I buy them by the box at the warehouse stores and just throw a couple of pairs in my take along.

Really makes it nice during dressing and skinning, and especially back home when I butcher.  But also useful for other things, like if you have to make an adjustment to your ride and it will keep the oil and grease off your hands and such.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 02:11:02 PM »
The fore mentioned reasons are good ones for the latex gloves, but here in Michigan we have a thing called Lymes disease.  It can be transfered by blood from, say a deer, to a human.  I have a problem with the skin on my hands getting real dry and cracking open.  So I wear the gloves when gutting to help protect.  Lymes disease is transfered to deer and other animals (also people) by the Deer Tick which is small as the head on a pin.  It can cause several severe medical problems and can take a long time to get rid of.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 06:49:40 PM »
I use the gutting gloves that have the long sleeves. They pull up over your coat sleeves and keeps my coat fairly clean of blood.  :grin: Then I can put the heart and liver in them when I'm done.  :idea: I think they cost about a dollor for a set, they come sealed in a little plastic baggie.

I carry several pair of the latex or vinyl gloves when on posse duty in a little pouch on my belt. And I always have some in each of my vehicles and some in my work truck first aid kits. I like the powdered ones as they go on a lot easier.

Hud :money:
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

Offline Rusty

Daypack Items:
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 12:03:22 PM »
Some of the above mentioned items, plus a small bright, and long burning waterproof dive flashlight, some rope or cord,  sometimes an apple or two,  a small thin piece of closed cell foam (about 30" X 40" to sit on), and sometimes a paperback book. :coffee:

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2003, 05:02:21 PM »
Well, you've just about covered everything that I usually pitch in my pack too.  One thing for us old timers, though, is an extra pair of eyeglasses.  I keep mine in a pocket so I won't have to grope around for 'em (again).  A 3-piece cleaning rod is also handy in case I goof up and get mud or snow in a gun barrel.....
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2003, 12:02:25 PM »
:D Around home I just carry a fanny pack.It has toilet paper, my drag strap/tree climber, a flashlight, a gallon ziplock bag, and matches. When I"m out west I use a day pack with plenty of water, maps, compass, binocs, food, rain pancho, extra rope, extra ammo, a warm hat and warm gloves or mitts. If I have room I take a camera and gps and rangefinder and foam seat pad.
I always take my cow elk call. It calls elk, deer, coyotes,and has stopped antelope.
A knife and extra ammo and matches go in my pockets. :biggun:

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2003, 05:30:42 PM »
A foam seat pad is a butt saver! It can make a long wait a lot more comfortable.

Speaking of butt, I also stashed some stuff in my rifles butt stock. I just took a look in there.  I had a tube tent, handfull of grade line, matches/steelwool/toiletpaper(firestarter), two disposable handwarmers, and two extra 30-06 cartridges.

Hud