Author Topic: rifle effectiveness?  (Read 608 times)

Offline flathead

• Trade Count: (0)
rifle effectiveness?
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:29:52 AM »
Hello,

Looking for a quiet garden varmint eliminator. RWS and Gamo are the most well represented in Cabela's. How are they for quality? I'm especially considering the Gamo Varminthunter because most of these critters come in at night. 

1) Which brand(s) do you consider to be the best, for the money?

2) Will they work on something as large as a big boar coon? The coons eventually come within 20 yds. or so.

I'm thinking of the 1000-1200 fps, .177 models.

Thanks for the help and God Bless! 

Offline swampthing

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Re: rifle effectiveness?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
.22cal would be a lot more appropriate for coons, and even those can be a little light. I like my to set my PCP rifle for 750fps with 21g beeman kodiaks for raccoon, with that I would only take head shots, my experience. On squirrel the same pellet @600fps will go straight through at 40yds.
Gamo's are fine and accurate enough for 50yd shots, but, keeping the scope in place requires a sturdy mount, don't bother with that so called "recoil stop" that come with it. Get a B Square and crank it down.
RWS's are excellent. The 350m in 22cal. will drop a coon if you can do head shots in the dark.
I would definatley go with the .22 for what your after, and even then I would find some 18-22g pellets that are accurate. If you've never seen one you will be surprised at its capabilities.

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: rifle effectiveness?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »
I shoot an RWS M-34P in .22 cal. I picked it up at Sportsman's Warehouse for $179 with a C-Mount and Scope. I have since switched to a BKL Mount and Bushnell 3.5-10x36 Scope and am quite pleased with the set-up. Mine shoots at an actual 600 fps (800fps rated) with Crossman Premier 14.3gr pellets. This set-up has accouted for over 200 rock chucks at ranges from 10 -50 yards.

Actually took 7 off this pile, these 4 just landed close enough to pile up and take a pic.