Author Topic: For antelope/mule deer .... between .243 and a .300wsm ...  (Read 990 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
For antelope/mule deer .... between .243 and a .300wsm ...
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »
I just moved to Utah and am thinking about next year's plans on hunting either antelope or mule deer. The gap in my calibers is between my coyote rifle (.243) and a Winchester .300wsm rifle I have. I have always been interested in a 7mm08 and am wondering if this caliber is more than enough to harvest both animals at average distances? Do any of you use the same rifle for both or I am just expecting too much?

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: For antelope/mule deer .... between .243 and a .300wsm ...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »
The .243 is ample for antelope and the 300WSM is excellent for mulies but don't let me discourage you from getting a new rifle.   I used nothing but a .308 for years for deer and antelope.  The 7mm08 would be just as good and GB can testify to the  success of the 7-08.   I now use a 6.5 x 55 for antelope and whitetails but still prefer the .308 for mulies. 

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: For antelope/mule deer .... between .243 and a .300wsm ...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:49:53 AM »
james ...

Thank you for the input. I have always wanted a 7mm-08 but I just kept buying within the 6 calibers I reload for. I just wanted to be sure this caliber could be used for both if need be.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less