Author Topic: Mitigating the 350M Recoil  (Read 553 times)

Offline hobbyist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Mitigating the 350M Recoil
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »
Well I finally bought the RWS 350M.  It is a substantial gun, weighs 8 lbs without a scope and 9+ with.  It has quite a punch and  a very hard kick impacting the accuracy.

I grew up with Diana/RWS 35 .177 and was extremely accurate and deadly with it.  I would shoot match sticks at 10m with regularity.  The kick was unusual (piston gun) but would not impact accuracy.  Well recently I bought a RWS 34 .177 as a present for my dad and it was like riding a bicycle.  I would put pellet after pellet in to the same hole at 20 yrds (with scope  ;D).  Thinking I need a discrete/quite gun for pest control in the back yard I bought the 350M in .22 and guess what, I am not nearly as accurate with it as the RWS 34 or the 35.  I am using the best RWS ammo with it.  Haven't tried any of the heavier beeman ammo yet.

I think some of the accuracy problem is due to being a .22 cal and the rest is me, due to the hard forward kick!

I am thinking about adding a mercury recoil reducer and was wondering has anyone tried it or another technique to counter the kick of 350 or another equivalent airgun.

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/intro2.htm

Thanks

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Mitigating the 350M Recoil
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »
Get a pellet sampler from Straight Shooters.  The 350 being a much more powerful rifle might like different pellets than the lighter shooting rifles. Also the harder they shoot the harder they are to manage.  Try various holds from firm to light. Some springers don't like being held too tight. Yep the high power springers are harder to manage.  Oh, do a Google search for Straight Shooters.  They have a lot of good stuff.  Hard shooting rifles may like and work better with heavy pellets to slow piston action a little.  Good luck.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 04:59:05 AM »
If you decide to go for the MRR, MPC has the best price I found.

Tim

http://www.mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=245
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hobbyist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 06:08:48 AM »
Thanks Quickdtoo for the tip.  Have you used them in any gun?  How well do they work?

Anyone knows how the RWS 54 works?  The RWS website has a general statement about it that can mean anything.  I wonder if it has a mercury capsule in the stock?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:21:41 AM »
I've only used one in  heavy kicking centerfire rifles, the 16oz x 7/8" model in the stock bolt hole of a rifle works very well, better than a dead weight of almost twice as much weight.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain