Author Topic: Zero Check on 6.5X20X50 WTC  (Read 542 times)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Zero Check on 6.5X20X50 WTC
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:08:23 AM »
My brother-In-Law was having a woodchuck problem. I loaned him one of my rifles and some handloads for it. He just gave it back to me yesterday and said the zero needed checked. He shot the first one, but has missed two since. They were at about 40 -50 yards. I told him I would check it out as soon as I could. This AM, I had a chance. First I shot 3 shoots at 6.5X (that is what I told him to use). Next I turned it to 12X, then 20X. There is some shift, but not too much, not enough to miss at 50 yards anyway. See the pictures below. I think it was mentioned that lower powers on "cheap" scopes some times goes high. It looks like it holds true here. I did not take a picture of the last shot. I turned back to 12X and it was almost centered exactly in the diamond and about 1/2" high to center (it almost duplicated the lower right shot at the 12X from before on a different target). I am satisfied the zero is doing OK.  I feel that this scope is a pretty good buy. 

https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/LaOtto/zerocheck.jpg
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Zero Check on 6.5X20X50 WTC
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »
I forgot to mention that the target was shot at 100 yards. The scope does do well, only shifting a fraction of an inch.

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
hello
Good shooting there sir. Have you thought about getting into bench rest shooting?

matt

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 01:16:43 PM »
Thank you very much. ;D I have given it some thought. I do not seem to have the time to delicate to go to meets and such. I really do not know how I would stack up either. I would very much like the talk and exchange of ideas. I have hours here and there, not days. The guns I am using cost a fraction of a good bench gun as a deterrent too. The gun used here was a Stevens 200 with a $100 barrel in 223 (cheap).

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »
laotto
most bench rest match's  around  my neck of the woods have a factory class for guys like us that don't what to spend the money for a bench gun.
We also have ground hog shoots here in PA that has a factory class. I used to shoot at both the hog match and some bench rest match's at different clubs. Now I only shoot the hog match's. I have more fun at them with the different ranges.  ;D

Its a really good way to get some good tips from the old timers ;)

matt

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »
Good shooting!Not enough shift to cause a miss at 40-50 yards for sure.Tell him he better check his zero  :D :D
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 04:45:41 PM »
Thank You again everyone. :) mattinPA - What are the rules for factory class? Are they universal or are they local rules? Just about all my guns have had different barrels (mostly cheap ones) put on (done the work myself) and some type of trigger work done, replaced the trigger and bedded the action. Doesn't this  throw me out of factory class? Is there a modified factory class? Of course they are still not up to the true Bench Rest guns with 2 oz triggers, lapped barrels, custom actions and $500 stocks. There are no bench rest shoots I know of in my area (NE Indiana). There are very few ranges here either. Most people shoot in their "back yard" or go to a very small state owned range. I work with a guy that is interested in Bench Rest (he shoots a Norma 6mm BR) and he went to one in Ohio last year. He has not mentioned any thing in our immediate area. I have not done a lot of looking for it though. I am interested, more for the talk than anything else. I have always liked the exchange of information and the friendly discussion of differences. I think that is why I like GBO, lots of good folks here at all levels of experience. ;D

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 04:51:24 PM »
laotto
most bench rest match's  around  my neck of the woods have a factory class for guys like us that don't what to spend the money for a bench gun.
We also have ground hog shoots here in PA that has a factory class. I used to shoot at both the hog match and some bench rest match's at different clubs. Now I only shoot the hog match's. I have more fun at them with the different ranges.  ;D

Its a really good way to get some good tips from the old timers ;)

matt
Matt What part of Pa are you from? I have shooting the crap out of groundhogs this season. I would be intrested in a groundhog shoot.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »
hello
For an Idea on rules you can check this out http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/groundhog.htm  I just shoot a match today  ;D

laotto and dale I would check out these forums      http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/6mmbr?forum=12205 and  http://www.benchrest.com/forums/index.php

for shoots in your area.

Dale this shoot in mifflin is alot of fun you should try it sometime.

matt