Author Topic: Long range hunting  (Read 1015 times)

Offline kudzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
Long range hunting
« on: July 05, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »
Can anyone remember the brand scope being used by John Burns in his Long range hunting DVD from the Best of the West show.

Offline Zachary

Re: Long range hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:06:40 AM »
I have never seen that video, or even know of the gentleman to which you are referring.  However, if it is TRUE long range shooting that you want, then the best of the best (east or west) is the Nightforce NXS.  For all I know, maybe that's the scope that was in that DVD.  I say this because out of all the long range shooting competitions, including the 1,000 yard matches, more Nightforce Scopes sit atop .300 Win Mags and .50BMGs than just about any other scope. (I would say Leupold is a close second). 

Zachary

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:37:47 AM »
It's not either one of them. It's  something like "MUSKIUM Optics" . I can't remember but was wanting to do a search on them.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »
I've never heard of that company. I understand that it may not be the actual name of the company, BUT, if it wasn't either Nightforce or Leupold, then, given that these 2 manufacturers probably account for a combined 70% of scopes in long range competitions, then I personally would be reluctant to buy any other scope.  Still, you are right in wanting to do some research on it.  If you do find out who in fact makes that scope, let us know what research you find.

Zachary

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 01:48:58 PM »
Early on in the show they were using Leupold scopes.  Leupold's custom shop put the bullet drop compensating reticles on so they could "dial in" the range.  Now they're marketing their own line of scopes and rifles.  The scopes are called Huskemaw (I may not have the spelling right).  I'm sure there's a link to it on their website, www.thebestofthewest.net

Used to be my favorite outdoors show on television.  Since John Burns left and Michael Martin Murphy took over as host, I think it's gone downhill.  I still watch it, though (Wednesdays, 8:30 p.m. Central time, Mens Outdoor and Recreation Channel).

You might like it, Zachary.  They would routinely make shots from 400 - 900 yards.  In addition, they almost exclusively used Berger VLD bullets.  John Barsness wrote an article on Berger bullets for big game in the latest Handloader magazine and wrote very highly of them.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »
Just a brief correction:  I meant bullet drop compensating turrets, not reticles.  Also, just checked their website.  The 5-20X scope retails for $975.  That includes a certificate for a custom turret tailored to your rifles favorite load.  I would suspect they have some other optics manufacturer make the scopes for them and they put their name and turrets on 'em. 

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 03:29:16 AM »
If someone will sponsor me one of them Huskemaw scopes, I will field test and post results.
Any takers. LOL

Don't know about the nightforce scopes but looks to be in line with comparable leupold scopes, pricewise.

Offline dbuck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
John Burns uses Leupold scopes and purchases Kenton Industries turret knobs that he installs on them, I have a set made by Kenton on my Leoupold 6-20 scope and it is for the 6.5X55 rifle that I own.  This is all custom equipment he uses, he explains everything in his new DVD's "Beyond Believe", where he covers every phrase of shooting and setting up a custom rifle or factory rifle.

dbuck