Author Topic: proof test ?  (Read 564 times)

Offline agent141

• Trade Count: (0)
proof test ?
« on: August 06, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
Have another question for the more knowledgeable frequenters of this board, I now have my bowling ball mortar, I massively over built the powder chamber (in my opinion), powder chamber machined from one chunk of barstock, inner chamber measures 1.5" x 5" and has at any one point a minimum thickness of 1.5" of steel surrounding it . Yet I still find myself behind my truck every time I touch it off. what would be an adequate proof test for this mortar ?. if nothing more than to put my mind at ease. ???

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: proof test ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »
Adequate strength is a function of 4 things:

Materials used
Design
Assembly of parts (good welding techniques)
Proper loading

Could you post a sketch of the design?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:26:46 AM »
Generally only a design is proof tested in the US.  If you build to proper safety and design standards and follow safe loading practice there is no need to proof.

Wwith a powder chamber that smal use no more than 500 grains of  Cannon grade powder and you should be just fine.

Park the truck further away. It doensn't hurt to move away from the gun when you fire.

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
Hi, When you realize your chamber is 2 or 3X bigger then it needs to be. And you are shooting for accuracy. Not max range. Then come out from behind the truck. It sounds like your powder chamber is strong enough. The question is. What kind of steel alloy are O2 tanks made of? And what happens to it when welded on. If it hardened during welding. It could be fine today. And crack tomorrow. This doesn't keep me from shooting my O2 tank mortar. But 200 yards is about max for me. And the most fun.