Author Topic: Cannon design needed  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
Cannon design needed
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:57:59 AM »
Hi all I have bean lurking around hear fore what seems like a year but haven't posted or singed up "not the best speller" . So I just look. But the time and money has come! This is a new back up shaft fore a water pump that is now obsolete. I took it over to a machinist and he did the machinist a steel ball in a tube with numbers. And came up with commercial grade 4030 or 4040 and an RC of 34 to 36. Could be harder but is hard to tell on a rounded surface and a Little rust. It's just over six feet long and six inches thick on the left side and four on the right. Thinking of having it gun drilled to two inches. But cant come up with a cannon to match the profile. The band in the middle is eight inches thick and probably  700 pounds.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Cannon design needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
Looks like there is a notch just to the left of the flange.  How deep is it?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:12:53 PM »
Yes there is a oval key way cut in to it there, 1X1X1/2 deep. I think that was fore the packing seal. And that should have bean 4130 or 4140 not 3040 4040. He didn't think it was hardened for this size of a shaft.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »
Rc 34-36 is certainly not real hard although it is not annealed either.  If it is 4140, attaching the trunnions by welding would be something of a problem with a piece that big.  At 6' long, it is as long as most full size Civil War field pieces, but half the diameter.  The Ordnance Rifle was probably the smallest at 9.7" maximum diameter. 

I am assuming you have access to a long gun drill to drill a 2" hole the whole length of that piece.  Any other way is going to be an immense pain.  My suggestion is to hold back the desire to make a 6' long gun as your first piece and go for maybe a 4' one, saving the left hand 2' for a future project.  Scaling an Ordnance rifle to 2/3 would work well as they were 3" bore.  The primary issue is going to be attaching trunnions.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:29:53 PM »
 Hi and welcome to the board. keep us informed on how your project turns out.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »
When i talked to the machinist  he also urged against welding to the shaft. In stead he suggested to use the band in the middle fore a stop and make a separate piece fore the trunnions and heat shrinking it on. He could do the prep work on the shaft but I would have to take it to the next town over fore the gun drilling should cost 60 to 70 bucks a foot. Major oil field area hear and this would be nothing special fore them.There is also a flange making shop there with a big kiln fore heat treating the flanges that i have worked on and is plenty big to hold this piece. I have three other shafts from the water works but smaller only four inch thick and three foot long. I hate to stir the pot hear but a more modern design like what Drew M. suggested might be in order hear. I'll try to get a better photo tourned out fuzzy on the left better check the lens. I have better than avrage welding and mecanel skills just need a direction to go in. I hate to play it by ear on some thing this expensev.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
You might consider a Blakely rifle.  This is the 3.5" Type 6.

GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:08:09 AM »
EOD -

WELCOME to the board!

4130/4140 at that hardness is sometimes called 'prehardened'.

You might consider not limiting  yourself to the existing profile - that is you could make several tubes of shorter length and have several different cannons or mortars. 

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
EYES, if you really want to go all out, and since you are going with a band with trunnions. how about a Williams gun??? the rapid fire hand cranked breech loading confederate cannon. you can see some nice color pictures at the top of the board "where to find cannons" look for Spriks Cannon Works. or you can do a google search "confederate williams gun"
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »
EOD, welcome, Glad you decided to jump in water, Don't worry about your spelling skills to much, I used to keep a dictionary by the computer until I switched from Internet  Explorer to Mozilla Firefox. It has a real handy feature it highlights misspelled words , when you click on the highlighted word it gives you the correct spelling and will fix any errors. I don't know how I ever got along with out it. Your hunk of metal is a good find, take your time you will come up with something good I'm sure. Good luck and Keep us posted.   Tracy 

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
Thanks all I really do want to be a respected member hear. I consider no project to big or to small I just have high expiation's. And have other toys all that I belt and designed with some constructive criticism hear are some.
http://dehogger.com/images/propane%201.WMV
http://dehogger.com/images/air%20gun/air%20gun%20hit%201.WMV

Offline LivnDream

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 08:41:16 AM »
your links wont work when i try them??

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 09:07:47 AM »
EoD,

What pre 1899 guns are those replica's of?  Dynamite guns?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
compressed air dynamite cannon  circa 1890-ish

http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs1/dynamite.shtml