Author Topic: Texas and the EU  (Read 469 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Texas and the EU
« on: August 31, 2007, 05:03:18 AM »
Dang we have enough liberal pukes here in this country with out having to deal with Europe's

From the BBC:

Texas rejects EU executions plea

More than 1,000 people have been executed in the US since 1976
Texas has told the European Union to mind its own business after the bloc called on the state's governor to get rid of the death penalty.
The EU expressed "great regret" at Texas' preparations to carry out its 400th death penalty and renewed its call to the US to halt executions.

Johnny Ray Conner, 32, will be executed on Wednesday for the 1998 fatal shooting of a grocery store clerk.

But Governor Rick Perry insisted it was a "just and appropriate" punishment.

He was responding robustly to the EU's denunciation of judicial killings as "cruel and inhumane".

The statement from the Portuguese presidency of the 27-nation bloc said: "The European Union strongly urges Governor Rick Perry to exercise all powers vested in his office to halt all upcoming executions and to consider the introduction of a moratorium in the state of Texas."

Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens

Governor's spokesman

It continued: "There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime and the irreversibility of the punishment means that miscarriages of justice, which are inevitable in all legal systems, cannot be redressed."

But Robert Black, a spokesman for the Texas governor, told the BBC News website: "Two hundred and thirty years ago, our forefathers fought a war to throw off the yoke of a European monarch and gain the freedom of self-determination.

"Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens.

"While we respect our friends in Europe ... Texans are doing just fine governing Texas."

According to the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, 1,090 executions have taken place in the US since the Supreme Court lifted a ban on capital punishment in 1976.

Texas has carried out more than a third of those.

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline rockbilly

Re: Texas and the EU
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »
There have long been provisions in the laws of Texas to charge all individuals involved in the commission of a crime where someone is killed with murder.  Over the past few years quite a few people have been put to death under this law. This morning, I read that Gov. Perry commuted the death penalty of one such individual to life in prison. 

While there is argument for putting all individuals to death that are involved in the crime,  I am not opposed.  I think an individual involved with a group about to commit a crime knows there is a possibility of someone being killed, particularly when one has a firearm.  There may be extenuating circumstances, but, in my opinion, if you go along with the group you are as guilty as the guy that pulls the trigger.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »
How on earth can anyone say that the death penalty does not deter crime ?
I can't think of anyone who received the punishment that committed another crime !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:02:34 AM »
Hate to tell you guys, but I believe Perry caved and commuted his sentence to life. It was on the news yesterday I believe.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »
%#@*&% another $140000.00 a year mouth to feed !

Offline magooch

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:51:18 AM »
The proven fallibility of our justice system not withstanding, I favor the liberal use of the death penalty except where there is some shred of reasonable doubt.  It should be clear that any one of us could be Nyfonged by our system.
Swingem

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:38:22 AM »
With DNA testing that should be less of a problem now !
But that said we will make a mistake ! that is a given ! but when one considers the low % of wrong convictions vs. letting criminals go it is a small price to pay for our freedom !
UNLESS YOU ARE THE ONE WRONGLY CONVICTED ! of course !