Author Topic: Two more toys  (Read 1060 times)

Offline m223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Two more toys
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
     Wow it worked! I finally can post pictures its a miracle! First off I know the can is the wrong color it is just there for scale. I made these two pieces last week Both are made from H.R.S. and both have the vent hole drilled in at an angle. I will describe the mortar first. For the 4th of July I wanted a fire cracker mortar so I went to the fireworks stand and found these red crackers (M-5000)  with nice long fuses. I measured their diameter and found that a 21/32 (.6563) was a perfect fit. I used a piece of  1.750" diam. by 3.00" long round bar. I drilled the powder chamber with a 1/2" bit and left it with a finished depth of 1."  Then I used the 21/32" for the bore and drilled in 1.250". Next I rounded the base and milled off a little bit so it would stand at about a 45 degree angle. I found a piece of 6"x6"x 3/4" thick metal, so I drilled through the center and welded the base to the mortar so no weld is visible. Man this thing is fun! I put about a 1/4 teaspoon of fffg powder in it, cut the fire cracker fuse in half put one piece in the mortar and press the cracker in fuse first. the report from the mortar is loud and it throws the cracker about 50' up and 50' out before it to reports. I had great fun with this until a tornado touched down about 5 miles away from my house.I had to put up my toys for a while. I tried to get some pics of smoke and fire but it isn't so easy to do by yourself, I'll keep at it though.    I have not fired the cannon yet, I still need to weld the trunnions and find out a safe charge to use. For projectiles I plan on cutting those little co2 cartridges in half and filling them with lead. I have one ready and it weighs just under 2ozs I will paint or tape them to reduce chance of sparking. The barrel starts at 2.125  and tapers down to 1.625 just before the muzzle. Total length is 8.00" bore is 6.500" deep and drilled out to .7188 ( 23/32" )  Trunnions are 5/8" .     Tracy

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Two more toys
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »
They look good, Tracy.

Be prepared for a bit of recoil when shooting slugs.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
Thanks C.W. I was a little nervous tapering the barrel. I did it in one cut, all freehand. to lazy to off set the tailstock. Now  I got to make a carriage of some sort. Man I hate working with wood.    Tracy

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
So make the carriage from metal.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
Thanks C.W. I was a little nervous tapering the barrel. I did it in one cut, all freehand. to lazy to off set the tailstock. Now  I got to make a carriage of some sort. Man I hate working with wood.    Tracy
Tracy, just think of wood as really soft metal..........
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »
Lance, what amperage should I use when welding this soft metal? :-) :-)   Ggaskill I was just reading the thread on casting and you got me thinking I might just make it out of metal, I saw that same carriage on that thread. I really like it. what shade of paint is that? It really looks great. Tracy,  Hey wait a minute I see wood on that thing!

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »
Tracy, i didn't think of that........ really i like wood, easy to machine, plus it was used for hundreds of years. i guess i'm too old fashioned.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »
what shade of paint is that?

It's Frazee Army Green.

Hey wait a minute I see wood on that thing!

Yes, the main part of the axle is wood but I'm sure you could figure out how to use a piece of square tubing in place of the wood.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »
Not at all Lance, I too appreciate fine woodwork. I just don't deal with it much. I guess every one has there forte. Maybe if I can make something decent I will like it better. Some of the folks here do some outstanding woodwork. I still do not know what style of carriage to make . I was thinking of one of them there naval carriages?  Ggaskill, I think I could probably do the wood axle I was just giving you some good natured grief. I don't think I will be using that style of carriage on my little cannon, but when I step up in size I will definitely be looking at your design again. Thanks  for the color info like I said It really looks great.    Tracy

Offline lance

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 02:16:31 PM »
yeah, a nice metal naval carriage would be neat, check out Dominick's site, he makes nice ones.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:21:46 PM »
Lance, is Dominicks site here in the forum somewhere ? I will check it out. Thanks Tracy

Offline lance

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
Carpenters replica artillery

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »
Ggaskill, I think I could probably do the wood axle I was just giving you some good natured grief.

No problem; I was thinking about making a metal axle myself.  The real difficult thing about wooden carriages is the wheels.  The rest of the parts are pretty simple and there aren't very many of them.  On a No. 1 carriage, there are 28 spokes, 14 fellies and eight quarter round segments for the hubs.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »
O. K. great I'll check it out Be back later.  Tracy   oops let me reply to Ggaskill first. I like your modern wheels I think it would look great being towed behind my quad runner.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »
The wheels are 20" bicycle wheels scrounged from scrapped BMX type bikes and with the ball bearings removed.

I also have some 16" wheels scrounged from younger kids' scrapped bikes.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 03:15:39 PM »
I think I could probably do the wood axle

Wood axle boxes aren't that difficult. This is is how I made mine.

I cut a groove in a piece of 1½" square oak on a table saw. No dado. I just set the depth, started in the center and moved the fence over slightly, making a cut on each side, until the groove was the right width.

The groove fits a ½" stainless steel threaded rod, it's snug but not tight and the rod will slide in & out. The groove is capped with a piece of ¼" x 1½" oak, clamped and glued. A few passes with some fine sandpaper on a block to clean up the glue joint and it's ready to cut to finished length.

The plastic/rubber wheels were for setup and assembly. When it came time for wood wheels, I cheated. I bought mine online.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »
Nice., ., These look great !

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »
Terry, your carriage looks great if I wanted wood wheels I would cheat too! Thanks for the compliment Tropico. I was hoping they would turn out alright seeings how I didn't have any plans. I just kind of a winged it. By the way I made a carriage here is the link to the post.    Tracy        http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,122098.0.html
Metal cannon carriage