Author Topic: Derringers  (Read 2565 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Derringers
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 03:47:24 AM »
SERT01 , I like my S&W body guard for protection in general , used to switch ammo as to threat , you know with shoulders or without shoulders ! or sometimes a mix ! The derringer is a bonus ! I have large hands so small auto's don't fit well in hand and get lost in pocket being flat and small !
i might carry the derringer solo if the threat was low , very low ! One other thing i use them for is when working close to cows , never know when one will need their mine changed , had one try to push tractor when putting a round bail in feeder , guess she figured the tractor was eating to much ! don't think i want to get pushed like that !
Its a shame that the derringer has the reputation it does , i guess its like the crossbow being a poachers weapon ( can't think of a less suited use for it ) the derringer will always be a weapon for the card shark ,pimp and lady of the night ! but if you need a very powerful ,short range , easy to hide and easy to maintain weapon its a hard gun to beat ! besides if you are being attacked and at dancing ( slow dancing )distance and the other guy is getting the best of you i feel the 44mag or 45 Colt derringer will make him let go as fast or faster than any 32 ,25 or 22 mouse gun ! hey with a 44 or 45 he will have to stop long enough to put the fire out !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 11:25:45 PM »
Having to manually cock the hammer is exactly why I wouldn't recommend any single action revolver in a tense situation whether encountering predatory humans or animals.  Imagine trying to fend off a dog, cat, bear or human with one hand and trying to cock a single action with the other. Yeah, its possible but why take the chance?  Sorta the same reason I don't see a pump/slide action shotgun to be the ultimate in self defense.  Ever try firing one while lying behind low cover?  All the while staying low enough to not get hit?   NOT easy to do.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 01:27:14 AM »
First , many carry a single action because it is safer to carry and lighter in most cases and cost , the speed of fire , double action vs. single action has been proved in favor of the single action  many times over ! but in reality it depends on the shooter ! knowing how to shoot your weapon of choice is the responsibility of the shooter , to confuse inability of the shooter, with how the gun works is ridiculous ! the same can be said of the pump shot gun , i have shot both for years , can't see the auto as an advantage at all , again complete mastery of your weapon of choice is Paramount if self defense is your goal ! although my information is limited ( admitted ) the troops seem to still like the pump over the auto
on the battle field , more dependable in adverse conditions .seems things haven't changed much !

If ya can see it ya can hit it !