Author Topic: Here she is  (Read 749 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Here she is
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
Here SHE is, the USS New York, made from the World Trade Center !

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists . It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite , LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? "Never Forget"

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Here she is
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:27:11 PM »
speechless.  As I sit here with tears running down my face, I don't have the words to describe the emotions that I feel. 

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:10:05 AM »
May this ship be instrumental in eliminating every last al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas and what-have-you on the face of the Earth.
Swingem

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »
May that good ship, go in harms way and return safe and victorious .   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 02:18:24 PM »
To bad stupid Rosie wasn't there to see the metal get melted down.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
Thats Super!!Does stir the emotions,too bad the media won't put a story like this at the top of the headlines.But hey they don't even show the buildings falling anymore,hoping more americans will forget we were attacked that day!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »
If rosie had been their and with that much heat there probably would would have been a "FAT" fire.

Gun Runner

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:37:28 AM »
If rosie had been their and with that much heat there probably would would have been a "FAT" fire.

Gun Runner

Spit coffee all over my monitor screen!!   Too funny!
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »
  This ship heralds a newer, sleeker class of assault amphibious ships. These are use by MEUs (Marine Expeditionary Units)..My grandson deployed 2005-6 with a Spec Ops Marine strike force.
  The old ones were built more like mini aircraft carriers..these new ones have a smaller takeoff deck on the fantail. Inside the ship will be troop carrying & attack helicopters along with Harrier jump-jets..

These ships will replace aging ships like the USS Tarawa, Peleieu, Iwo Jima, Nassau and Belleau Wood ...I believe another new one (the San Antonio) is either on line or about to be..
  The ship my grandson was assigned to was decommissioned when his MEU arrived home..May 2006.

Water going landing craft will be dispatched from the rear of the ship..

Great going Marines and Semper Fi !
   Remember the bumper stickers back at Lejeune:

" It's God's job to judge the terrorists;
       It's our mission to arrange that meeting !"

US Marines..                                     God Bless and God speed..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline FourBee

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »
Wonder if she'll be deployed to the Persian Gulf ?     Last I read the Navy is on high alert there with 2 carrier units and a 3rd  carrier just off the gulf with 3000 marines and their fast landing crafts ready to hit the ports of Iran.   And all the while Iran's President is yelling 'Israel will be destroyed soon'.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.