Author Topic: Bullseye: should newcomer start with a Red Dot?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Ned

• Trade Count: (0)
Bullseye: should newcomer start with a Red Dot?
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:04 AM »
From what I've read conventional wisdom seems to hold that a newcomer to Bullseye should learn with iron sights before going to optics and I can see the value of that but (a) I'm 64 and while my eyesight is not terrible (I use glasses for reading only) it certainly has gone down somewhat and (b) I'd have rather limited practice time available.

Wondering if many of you started with Red Dots or did you take the above approach and reach a level of competence/confidence before switching?

Thank you.

Ned

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bullseye: should newcomer start with a Red Dot?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:44:17 AM »
Sorry Ned, I had powder on the brain. I read your question twice trying to make sense of Bullseye & Red Dot powder to your question. I'm thinking what the  ?@%#   is he talking about. Then after the 2nd cup of coffee I realized it was about shooting not reloading. Brain is a little slow this morning.
Now to your real question. You can learn to shoot with either. Years ago when I shot bullseye postal matches, open sights worked better for me. I tried the red dot sight, but it showed how much I jiggled. I should try the red dot again, now that I to have added a few years to these old eyes.

Offline GGaskill

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »
I shot pistol with iron sights for many years and just recently tried a red dot sight.  As mentioned above, the wobble is exaggerated as it is with any other optical sight.  But I don't have the problem of trying to focus on three things at different distances.  You can get a BSA red dot for less than $50 (if you don't already have a red dot) and see how you like it.  I am sure it will be better than irons if you can deal with the extra weight.

And it will help you see mishandlings (such as pushing the sights off target with your trigger squeeze) a lot easier than iron sights do.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline bobthenailer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
i used iron sights for many years working my way up to shooting master class scores then when the aimpoint red dot sights came out i gave them a try and never looked back , since ive started useing the red dot ive been shooting high master scores for 15 years now with 30 years in the sport.  it takes a little time to learn to shoot with the red dot , when i first installed one i shot worse for a short while. now i have perhaps 20 rifles & pistols with red dots on them as im now 59 years old.    bob