Author Topic: Accuracy Potential?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Rebel-1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Accuracy Potential?
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »
Ok guys, all things being as equal as possible, which do you think has the potential for the best accuracy, a .36 revolver or a .44? Is one inherently more accurate than the other?

Offline longcaribiner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Accuracy Potential?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:45:15 AM »
I am a real fan of the cap and ball revolver and I have had .31, .36 and .44. of both Colt and Remington styles.  I have never been able to get a colt repro to shoot better than a paper plate at 25 yds.    The best I ever did with a "true"  Remington style was a cheap brass framed .36 I bought at a going out of business sale at a discount chain store.  The trigger pull was terrible, but I could hold a 4 inch group at 25 yds.     When I practice with my Ruger Old Army, I have even shot 2 inch five shot groups at 25 yds.     (with a perc. muzzleloader pistol, I once shot a 1.25 inch group at 25yds, in competition)

I firmly believe it has more to do with the pistol than the caliber.  If Ruger made a .36, I'd buy it.  If they made any other caliber, I'd have to buy one.     

A .36 has less recoil, assuming a similar weight pistol, and less report to throw the shooter off, but that is a matter that is overcome by practice no matter how big or small the bore.       If you shoot and practice alot, a .36 runs about half the cost for shooting supplies and powder. 

I once competed regularly against a fella that swore by his Rogers and Spencer as the very most accurate.  But he also took his pistol to a nationally known pistol expert to have it tuned, smoothed and reworked.  He probably spent $150 for the gun and another $500 for the gun smith work.   He could shoot cloverleafs all day.   

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Accuracy Potential?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:46:26 PM »
I've got a Pietta 51 navy that I can get 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards off a rest if I do my part.  I generaly get poorer accuracy and reliability from the pietta, but for some reason this one is spot on and the best cap and ball shooter I've got.   For ball size, I'd be hard pressed to find anything other than the 36 51' navy.  It's mainly feel and ballance though.  O do love the roar of the 44's, but the 51 in 36 is accurate and well ballanced and the recoil is almost a non issue, along with a small dia. ball moving very fast.

The quality of import revolvers has improved in the last few years, but there still not up with the originals for the most part.  Though there are a few exceptions like the "shooters" remington, can't remember who made it.  If USFA would make percussion colts I'd buy one in a heart beat.  Or if Colt would made percussion guns with the quality that there second gens have I'd go for that.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com