Author Topic: HX prefix.......Stoopid noob question  (Read 286 times)

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
HX prefix.......Stoopid noob question
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
Hi Guys,
   I need some advice! I have searched all the forums and I can't find a definitive answer.
   A fellow member is trying to swap me a .450 Marlin Barrel with a pallet wood stock and a reciever with an HX prefix serial number. Is this a safe reciever to mount centerfire rifle barrels on? Will it qualify for the barrel exchange program?
   I thought the H prefixes were made by H&R but the list  on this board says an X denotes a 2007 manufacture date.
   I know they made some "partner" guns that would convert from shotgun to centerfire rifle by changing the barrel, but were those recievers different from the regularH&R "topper"  recievers?
     Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
BT

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: HX prefix.......Stoopid noob question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:27:07 AM »
All of the answers to your questions are in the FAQs, the first letter N or H denotes who's name is on it, N= NEF, H= H&R, both made by the same company, just depends on which model it was originally on. The second letter denotes the year of mfr. The only way to know for sure if it's an SB1 shotgun frame or and SB2 rifle frame is to call H&R and ask, they can tell you by the serial number. There are also pics of both types of frames in the FAQs, there are some differences that are obvious.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain