Author Topic: Thesis: 358 Winchester is the single most ballistically efficient round in exist  (Read 17799 times)

Offline Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Sorry !
by the way for this exercise to be useful would you not have to use the same powder since each has a different burning rate /efficiency ? the old apples to orange thing ?

No, I don't think so because different case capacities and bullet weights dictate different powders.  Choosing a single powder would bias the results.

Given the differences in brass, powder and bullet costs, I think it would be an interesting exercise to measure efficiency in terms of cost rather than grains of powder.  What does it matter if a cartridge is the most efficient in terms of powder when the overall cost makes it prohibitively expensive?  This exercise should include brass, powder and bullet costs, and should include the costs of typical firearms as well. 

Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline SHOOTALL

then with out a control it would be a useless exercise !
your list of reasons why you can't use one powder explains the bias involved before the exercise started and to ignore them only invalidated the data before it was  gathered  ! Sorry to bust your bubble but it is like so many govt. studies - now that we have it , what do we do with it and why was it done to start with ?
Face facts a gun is no more than an internal combustion engine with out a connecting rod to hold the piston (bullet ) and if you believe the type fuel used has no effect fill your car with diesel and see ! and if by chance you have a diesel fill it with gas ! Don't worry a diesel won't blow up it will cut off with gas !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Coyote Hunter

SHOOTALL -

I did not state that the type of fuel used (powder) has no effect – quite the opposite.  What I am suggesting is what any reloader already knows – that some powders are more suitable to some cartridges than others.  You wouldn’t use Retumbo in a .22 Hornet and you wouldn’t use L’il Gun in a .458 Lott.  To use only a single powder invalidates the test immediately unless the test is to determine cartridge efficiency for that particular powder. 

The comparison metric in 358Win’s study was energy per grain of powder and it was noted that different powders were used. Other variables included  case volume, powder charge, bullet diameter, bullet weight and barrel length. That is a perfectly valid way to do it. 

When I bought my F250 (firearm) back in 1996 I looked at two fuel (powder) options – gas and diesel.  The diesel F250 (firearm) cost more but got better mileage and offered more power (was more efficient per gallon).  Was the comparison a useless exercise?   Not at all.  Fuel (powder) costs were about the same but in the long run the diesel (a particular powder) was less expensive on a cost per mile basis (more efficient with my dollar), which was how I made my decision.  I’ll not be putting gas in the tank, thank you.

Coyote Hunter

Offline SHOOTALL

I also compared on all three of the diesel trucks i have driven and realized that i have to drive over 30 thousand miles a year to realize the benefit of paying out right for the diesel and the extra cost of maintenance !
To only compare cost of fuel and mpg without other associated cost you would have been making an unwise purchase !
That said most people buy both guns and trucks for the simple reason they want one and dream up reasons to do so !
But to say one round is more efficient than another with total disregard as to powder , intended use, bullet, size of case,  weapon it has to fit in and any number of factors is an exercise futility ! And to state up front that obvious errors are ignored does not make it anymore valid ! IMHO
I assume that by your definition of efficiency an air rifle will take all honers since it uses no powder to achieve its function ?

Offline Coyote Hunter

I also compared on all three of the diesel trucks i have driven and realized that i have to drive over 30 thousand miles a year to realize the benefit of paying out right for the diesel and the extra cost of maintenance !
To only compare cost of fuel and mpg without other associated cost you would have been making an unwise purchase !
That said most people buy both guns and trucks for the simple reason they want one and dream up reasons to do so !

SHOOTALL –

Rest assured that I considered other costs as well when making my decision to purchase a diesel.  I figured 90,000 miles was the break-even point and I did that in the first 3-1/2 years. 

Quote from: SHOOTALL
But to say one round is more efficient than another with total disregard as to powder , intended use, bullet, size of case,  weapon it has to fit in and any number of factors is an exercise futility ! And to state up front that obvious errors are ignored does not make it anymore valid ! IMHO

As I have stated from the beginning in this thread, choosing a cartridge based solely on its efficiency is ridiculous.  That said, a cartridge’s suitability for a particular task, or lack thereof, does not change its efficiency one iota.
People compare the gas mileage of cars all the time.  Few ask if the manufacturers doing the testing are using the same grade or formulation of gasoline (or testing at the same altitude and air pressure, which have effects as well) and I can guarantee they are not.

The point of the thread was not to find the most efficient hunting load or the most efficient 50-yard target load, or the most efficient load for anything else – it was to find the most efficient load – period – as measured in terms of energy per grain of powder.  While I would suggest that multiple data sources be used in such a quest, instead of relying only on a Barnes manual, it is a perfectly valid exercise to state the parameters, as 358Win did, and adhere to them – whether you agree with the parameters or not.

Quote from: SHOOTALL
I assume that by your definition of efficiency an air rifle will take all honers since it uses no powder to achieve its function ?

The efficiency of air rifles in terms of energy per grain of powder cannot be calculated because no powder is used.  Mathematically, it’s a non-starter.  Hence my comparison to loads which use very light charges of fast powders, which do indeed take top honors.

By the way, Captains Lewis and Clark took air rifles with them on their historic journey to the Oregon coast.

Coyote Hunter

Offline SHOOTALL

Yes L & C did use air rifles much like the 50 cal ones used today , It is not my intention to find fault only to find usefulness of the information . For lack of a better model i see the exercise much the same as to compare a race car , a combine , a VW , a pick up and a Harley as to which pushes itself 10 mph down the road the most efficiently ! They all use different fuel , do a different job etc. so what would be gained by the information collected ?  I am truly trying to see the worth  ! but there are so many variances many you feel do not matter but in fact change the equation , that is why you can't use only one book , because it does matter ,
you have put forth a lot of work , that i admire , how can i use it to better my shooting ?

Offline Coyote Hunter

SHOOTALL -

First, let’s give credit where it is due, and that is to 358Win.  My work was limited to investigating only three loads.

The variances between cartridges do not change which cartridge is the most efficient, but they do determine suitability for a particular purpose – which is an altogether different issue.

How can you use the knowledge of cartridge efficiency to better your shooting?  Beats the hell out of me.  As I posted to 358Win in my first response to this thread:

“Bullet diameter/velocity/construction, rifle make/model/weight/materials, application, what rifles I already have and a host of other factors weigh more heavily for me than efficiency, but I'm curious if you can make your case.”

Coyote Hunter

Offline SHOOTALL

My case was what i could use the information for , and you have basically said nothing , which was my opinion to start with !
As far as giving credit to the .358 , OK , I enjoy all cartridges and the firearms that use them , I have no problem giving it or any worthy round a little praise , although i do not have one , closest thing i guess would be a .356 win. , its new to me but so far i like it !
I will disagree with regard to variances not affecting efficiency and we will just have to agree to disagree !
If by chance that is the case you would like me to make , I suggest you load two loads in the .358 one with a round nose flat base bullet and one with a pointed boat tail bullet , making sure all other factors are the same including bullet brand . go to the range and shoot them at a 350 yard target , if one load groups higher than the other was it the powder or the bullet ?
would the flattest shooting round not be considered more efficient ?
Your dedication to the .358 is not a bad thing , i to have pets also !
As I am honestly trying to get the point you are making I hope you don't feel any personal attack , and thanks for your effort !

Offline Coyote Hunter

SHOOTALL –

Don’t worry about the personal attack thing – asking questions and supplying a different point of view is far different than personal attack.  I do this quite often and although sometimes folks take it as a personal attack I think they do so mostly when they can’t support their position with logic and facts.

I was not giving credit to the .385 Win cartridge, but rather to 385Win, the member of this forum who did the work on comparing various cartridges.  He obviously put a lot of time into it.  Do I agree that his method of comparing cartridges is the best method for me?  No, but that does not invalidate his method. 

You are correct that bullet shape will affect downrange energy, which is why I focused more on muzzle energy in my examples.  358Win also ranked the cartridges by muzzle energy.

You seem to confuse 358Win’s dedication to the .358 Win cartridge with my feelings towards it, which are rather ambivalent.  I don’t own one and don’t see one in my future – ever.  I’d rather have a .35 Whelen and I don’t see one of those in my future either. 

Congrats on your .356 Win, by the way.  It is essentially a rimmed .358 Win, generally loaded to lower velocities even though the SAAMI pressure ratings are the same.  If I ever find one of the 3,000 or so that Marlin made, in great shape and at a reasonable price, it’s likely to follow me home. 

It looks like we agree that efficiency alone, as measured in terms of energy per grain of powder, is not a very good reason to choose a cartridge, although it is interesting to see how the various cartridges line up.

When comparing cartridges I tend to standardize using a MPBR (Maximum point Blank Range) calculation for a target 6” in diameter – meaning the bullet is never more than 3” above or below line of sight from the muzzle to MPBR.  Then I compare MPBR zero points and ranges; the range and energy where the bullets have dropped 10”; and the bullet drop and energy figures at various ranges - typically 300, 400 and 500 yards.  You will note that efficiency, in terms of energy per grain of powder, never comes into play.

When comparing various loads for a particular cartridge, I look at a number of things.  When comparing two very similar loads, typically driving the same bullet to similar speeds with different powders, I generally look at accuracy, ease of loading and efficiency in terms of shots per dollar.  Again, efficiency in terms of energy per grain of powder does not come into play, at least not directly.

My Browning B92 in .44 Mag pushes a 300g Speer JSP to 1531fps using 20.0g H110.  That’s 1561fpe at the muzzle for an ‘M eff’ rating of 79.1.  A 240g Speer JSP runs 1880fps for 1883fpe and a ‘M eff’ rating of 78.5.  I love that rifle, a gift from Dad, and have hunted with it often enough over the last 20 years.  With 10 in the magazine it is a great little defense gun against Colorado’s black bears, lions and two-legged predators, and has often filled that role in camp – especially when the kids were young.  If ‘M eff’ was reason enough to choose a cartridge for hunting I wouldn’t need anything else.  (It easily beats everything listed by 358Win.)  Nevertheless, it is not, never has been and never will be my go-to hunting rifle.

Coyote Hunter

Offline SHOOTALL

yea i knew the 356 was a rimmed 538 i as had a 307 which is a 308 with a rim . i use the mpbr also . Have you read some of the feed back on other topics about it , it has to be the most misunderstood topic yet ! why deal with hold over when you don't have to ,
enjoyed our conversation

Offline 358Win

• Avid Poster
Other than using the highest velocity load regardless of powder I did all the work except using the loads from the Barnes #1 Reloading Manual..  Again I hope you all had as much fun as I did.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
I'm just a simple guy and don"t know or care about the various numbers put up. I have 4 .358's and all I know is when you hit something with one it goes down and stays there including moose and elk up to 200 yds.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
And many other rounds do the same.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
I enjoyed the read on this thread alot.  However, I wonder how efficient everyone's time usage was replying to 358W? :-\   Am I going to sell off one of my current babies to get a new one?  NO.  Will I consider getting one in the future?  For the right price and the right "feel" of the gun, hell yes!  Did I like seeing several of my personal favorites listed in the running, oh yah. ;D  Thank you for some good food for thought, 358W.  However, when I plan a hunting trip, I factor in the area I'm going to hunt to choose which cartridge I'll be using.  In each caliber, I have several different case sizes to let me choose for the range, as here in Montana shots can be up close on river bottom tangle, to prairies that can let one see for miles!  As long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger, I LIKE IT!  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Great article in the Aug. issue of Handloader for 338 Fed and 358 Win. And Thanks 358Win for all your work, it's been an interesting read.