Author Topic: Argentinian Mahely "masters" air rifle .22 cal  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Camba

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Argentinian Mahely "masters" air rifle .22 cal
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:15:15 PM »
Hi guys!

I have an Argentinian Mahely "masters" air rifle in .22 cal and it is a one hole puncher at 15 yards with some Argentinian ammo (Orbea).  I have check the speed to 650 fps using a Chinese made projectile of 15.1gr.  I've noticed that when using the Orbea ammo, I can get small groups all day.  I like to try those harder bullets to see what speed and accuracy I get.  Are any one of you familiar with this rifles?

Other question I have is that I've just bought a Crossman Quest 1000 for my Dad in a .17 cal.  Is this a good gun for hunting?

Camba

Offline AirCajun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Argentinian Mahely "masters" air rifle .22 cal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
Regarding your question about the Quest.  These rifles get mixed reviews.  Some folks like them fine and a few have problems with accuracy.   If your dad shoots with open sights he will likely not have a problem.  Scoping the Quest seems to open up the accuracy issue.  You should use a one-piece mount and an air-gun rated scope with AO feature. You may have to shim the scope at the rear ring to get it to zero as these rifles tend to have barrel droop (not uncommon with many pellet gun manufacturers).  I have a Quest and it is okay for hunting and plinking with a scope, but it is not as accurate as other rifles I have.  Just remember that the rifle will need at least 500 pellets through it before it will start to settle down.  Also try as many different pellets as you can to see which one "groups" best - then zero for accuracy.  Then, and only then, will you find out how accurate it really is.

Good luck

Offline Camba

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »
Hi AirCajun!

I could not resist and I opened the box of the Crossman Quest 1000X rifle and did some test.  I've got a 3/4" at about 15 yards using some Crossman hunting pellets.  I did get supprized by the sound.  It sounded like when you fire a primed(empty) cartridge in the basement.  I tried my Mahely Masters with some Daisy flat nose target pellets and the results were 4 shots inside a hole about the size of .357 mag and one lonely flier about 1/4" away from that hole.  The point of impact was 3/4" to the left from my Orbea's 15.1gr pellets.  My father wants this rifle to shoot doves in south america sitting under a tree and waiting for them to land on the tree (you can shoot more than a 100 in one afternoon).

Camba

Offline AirCajun

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »
That's pretty dang good with a new gun!  The loud noise you are hearing is the gun "dieseling".  It is burning excess oil.  It should stop soon and start to smooth out.  I forgot to mention that you should always clean the barrel of a new gun prior to shooting to remove oil in the barrel as well as clean it - sorry about that.  Never, ever, use cleaning brushes as you can damage the barrel of the air gun - best to use a bore snake and soft cloth strips with these guns.  "Goo Gone" is a great cleaner (Wally world or almost any grocery store will have it) but be sure and pull cleaning strips through the barrel until it is completely dry and clean. Of course, never let any combustionable oil near the piston or seal.  Please accept my apology if I am telling you things you already know - just wanted to be sure you and/or your dad get a good start with that new rifle.  Looks like you got a good one!  BTW, you can also get a trigger mod for that rifle that will get the trigger pull down about as low as anyone might want it.

Cheers

Offline Camba

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:43:55 PM »
AirCajun,

Thank you for the advice.  Now I know why that oily smell in the basement was.  Just as you said, the sound decrease a little by the time I fire the 5th shot.  I am going to buy the snake bore cleaner so my old man can clean it after his hunting session.

Do you think that 650 fps is too low for a 15.1gr pellet? (this question is about my Mahely .22 rifle)

Camba

Offline AirCajun

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
I assume you are talking about hunting?  I try not to push it past 30-35 yards for squirrels, rabbits, etc. for a rifle with that energy level in .22 cal.  Any larger animal is generally a bad idea.  Go for head shots for clean kills. Air guns will hone your stalking skills!

Google www.chairgun.com/ and download the Chairgun2 program (I think it is still free).  You can play with the program and determine trajectories, energy, and a bunch of things.  It will give you lots of information regarding performance of air guns, pellets, scopes, and etc.  Well worth the effort IMHO.

Cheers