Author Topic: What ever happened to the 7.62x39 barrels?  (Read 941 times)

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What ever happened to the 7.62x39 barrels?
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »
I finally have the money for one and I can't find them anywhere.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: What ever happened to the 7.62x39 barrels?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »
Unfortunately, they discontinued 7.62x39mm because of misfires with Soviet-bloc milsurp ammo. That ammo is made with very hard primers to avoid slam-fires in Rooskie and Chicom firearms, which usually don't have firing-pin return springs. A normal American hammer spring sometimes isn't strong enough to dent the darn stuff deep enough to set it off.

The reverse is also true -- a Chicom military rifle will slam-fire with normal ammo reloaded with normal American primers. It's a serious safety issue with milsurp rifles, but just a frustration issue with Handi rifles. I wanted a 7.62 in order to use the brass and dies I have for my SKS -- I quit shooting handloads in it after experiencing a slam-fire at the range.

Get yourself a .308 Win, .30-'06 or .30-30 Handi -- it'll do anything the 7.62x39 will do, and do it better, with normal-diameter bullets and reliable ignition.

Dave
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 02:34:36 AM »
There are still some floating around.  I have owned a couple before I owned the one I have now.   I bought one from the factory and the other two from sellers here.  Surplus ammo won't work so don't even think about it.  I reload and use lead bullets and I am going to try some backward boattails.  I only shoot "whisper" type loads for now but I have a box of 123 SP that i will load later to use in deer season if I decide to.  There is quite a bit of info on the web concerning subsonic 7.62x39 loadsI am going to use this rifle as a calling rifle to shoot coyotes called in on the less open areas I hunt.  Less racket made means I can come back to these sweet spots quicker, I think.  As it is, I only repeat a successful calling spot about about every 3 weeks.

i say all that to say this.....I think most have ended up in the hands of reloaders such as myself that have found a niche for them.  It won't do anything the 30-30 won't do and I even have about 800 pieces of 30-30 brass and no 30-30 barrel. What was I thinking????  Any way the 30 Herrett, 300 whisper, 300/221, and 7.62x39 are all real similar.  I am going to try some Herrett data with fast powder to see if there is any difference in the longer tube as far as muzzle blast is concerned.  As you know all 30 Herrett data was designed for 10-14 inch contender barrels so most data is for the faster end of the powder spectrum.

Good Luck on your search.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline eskimo36

• Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:40:27 AM »
Not that you, or for that matter any prudent man, should consider it.....but someone has a new one listed with a $225 buy it now on e-bite... I buy whole guns for that regularly and dang nice guns at that......

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:22:52 AM »
Its a real shame that the 7.62x39 barrels did not work out.  An inexpensive cartridge and an inexpensive gun that you could shoot economically without having to reload.  Should have been a perfect match.  Oh well. 

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:00:12 AM »
It was my intention to reload, I've had the dies and brass for years. I just didn't want to reload for my AKs or SKSs.

I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:37:25 AM »
You really need to get the fix from Murray's:

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

I put a spring in my SKS and it works great! No primer hits at all.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
Eskimo, you mention 300 Whisper and 30/221 Fireball separately. I thought they were the same cartridge. Is there a difference?

Offline eskimo36

• Adventure Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
There is no difference other than who chambers it. 300 Whisper is one of many proprietary cartridge of JD Jones of SSK Industries. Many chamber 300/221 while only those with Mr. Jones' blessing chamber a 300 Whisper. ;D

Offline ironduke2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
I rechambered mine to 7.62x54R works great. Bob

Offline ~Ace~

• Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »
The Spring on the firing pin will prevent the Slam-Fire on the SKS.... I also have Not been able to Make one slam fire with CCI Primers, but have on rare occasion with other brands (No Spring), Federals were the most common to go Bang.

It's pretty impressive how accurate a SKS can be with Handloads, and a Great 100 yard deer gun.

When I get my 7.62x39 Barrel for the Handi, I'll work up some loads and post what I find out :)

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 08:21:04 PM »
I rechambered mine to 7.62x54R works great. Bob

That's what I want to do but no dice.
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »
Yep, I have heard of the firing-pin spring upgrade, but haven't decided if I want to invest any more money in the rifle. Both of my slam-fires were with CCI primers. The pin is really loose in the bolt -- I made a point of cleaning the grease out to avoid having it stick in the forward position. You can really hear it rattling in there. I'd rather spend my money on another Handi! In the meantime, I've got brass and dies for 7.62, so I'll probably go back to the SKS eventually.

I'm a long way from bored with my NEFs, so it'll be awhile!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams