Author Topic: Need Ladder Stand Suggestion  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Need Ladder Stand Suggestion
« on: November 21, 2002, 06:23:25 PM »
If you are operating under the assumption a ladder stand is a PORTABLE stand you are gonna be sadly disappointed. If you are looking for one you will set up and leave in place for some few days to hunt from then a ladder might suit you.

If so, take a look at the nice two person side by side stands in Cabela's catalog. They have the best selection I've seen.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline coltfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 03:00:54 AM »
Happened to see one of those 2 man versions at the local walmart back around the beginning of September. Price was only $125.00. I waited too long and they had taken all their tree stands off the floor. Not sure if they sold them all (probably not) or just sent them back to the warehouse since it is seasonal merchandise.

You may want to reconsider your choice of a ladder stand. I had one set up on posted private property. Guess I'm too trusting, never put a lock on the stand. Someone came in and stole the ratchet straps that held the stand to the tree, as well as a seperate hang on seat I was using in conjunction with the stand. They just left the stand laying on the ground, I'm guessing it was just too heavy and bulky for them to steal. Next year I will probably buy a climber. Have seen lots of good reviews on the API grand slam, Summit Viper, and Lone Wolf sit and climb. Most of the climbers have a standard weight rating of 300 lbs. and most manufacturers have a heavy duty model which is usually rated at about 350 lbs.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 06:00:55 PM »
cooter i'am bigger than you! 6'5 and 325! i have used lots of stands but the best so far i have used come from north starr treestands in hillsdale michigan ! very secure very rugged!  lots of room ! this year i bought there climber and it is great very commfy! i solf my other cheappy climbers such as warren sweat!,  now i sold my summits and old man because the features are so much better on the northstarr treestands that i cant even begin to name them all! they are just awesome! i swear by them now!   northstarr treestands.com

Offline teeball

tree stand
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 09:42:22 PM »
You should try one of the Hunter's View Buddy Stand. It is 12ft. tall and will hold up to 500lbs. It is 3.5"wide, has a padded seat, and a wrao around shooying rail. My boss is 6'5" and used to weigh over 300lbs. He swears by it soo much that I bought on. I'm only 5'9" and about 200lbs. but OH MAN is that thing ever comfy. I have always been a big fan of ladder stands and I don't move them around too much during season, so this thing woorks great for me. Hope this helps.

Offline deerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 07:16:03 AM »
I was thinking about a similar type stand. I saw this one at cabelas, but I have not bought it yet.  It is rated at 500 lbs and only weights 33 pounds.  I was going to use it on public land, so my thought was to back pack it in, 1 or 2 hours before daylight and set it up.  Hunt it till 9am, then climb down, and still hunt to 3pm, then climb back in till dark.  Then take it out with me when I leave.  

We have a lot of PETA Terrorists here in Mass, I'm afraid if I leave it overnight, it will be broken or sabotaged.  My friend puts up about 3 or 4 hanging stands thru the whole season the last few years.  He has found where they pulled the glow-in-dark thumb tacks out of the trees to it.  Some used a file or something to round off the pegs he hangs his removable tree steps on, so he would fall if he tried to climb up.  Another left a pile of ???? at the foot of the tree.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0004773414048a&navAction=push&navCount=5&indexId=cat20051&podId=0004773&catalogCode=QN&parentId=cat20051&parentType=index&rid=