Author Topic: b]Warning!!!!![/b]  (Read 972 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« on: May 16, 2003, 01:31:24 PM »
Warning!!!

Yesterday evening a biologist that does some contract work for the California State Department of Fish & Game stopped by to talk about guns and such.  He came with a warning.  While doing some research on rodents he has come across a large number of Rattle Snake young.  He believes that this is due to the mild winter we had this year leading to a larger number of young surviving the winter.  I don't know about the rest of the western states but for those living here or to those coming for a visit be watchful, VERY WATCHFUL.  Watch the kids and your pets as it's usually the little snakes that get them.  Would like to see some reports from other areas on problem critters.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 04:21:25 AM »
Gee, I am glad that in Michigan we only have a very few Timber rattlers.  I have never seen one, but did have a buddy in Jr. High that ran over one with his pedel bike on a country road.  I dont think it would be fun to have to look first before putting your foot over a log/etc... or where you put your posterior when sitting down.  Say, has anyone ever used snake skin on a rifle stock???  I have seen lots of them on traditional bows.  They look pretty cool.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 10:25:29 AM »
I killed my first rattle snake of this year this morning.  Out by the pump house next the wife's garden.  A Timber Rattler just 33" long with 8 rattles and a button.  Those factory loaded CCI shot shells for the .44 mag. work nicely.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 01:32:32 PM »
Family was out this last weekend camping in the sage and we killed 5 rattlers Friday alone. Saw 10 snakes while driving around Sunday (1 rattler).

Looks like a big year for snakes here in E. Wash. for sure. Make sure to talk to your Vet about anti-venom for you pets and check with the local Emergency room for availability for humans (been in short supply the last few years).
-Power

Offline Lawdog

b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 02:20:11 PM »
Power,

Looks like a big year for snakes here in E. Wash. for sure. Make sure to talk to your Vet about anti-venom for you pets and check with the local Emergency room for availability for humans (been in short supply the last few years).

Excellent suggestions.  Only thing else a person could do is to have their families and themselves tested for anti-venom shock.  It can be more dangerous than the venom to many.  I had this done years ago for all of us and the grandkids last year.  Cheap insurance to carry a card that says it's either ok or not for anti-venom.  I also carry a snake bite kit that has anti-venom in power form but you have to check the expiration date just to make sure if it's ok or not.  Lawdog

Offline Lawdog

b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 12:49:05 PM »
Yesterday was Open House at our gun club.  I was part of the group the volunteered to help set thing up.  Four of us got there at sunup, and right off my son killed a 21" rattler by the #2 trap house.  I killed two, one by the pistol range and the other at the small bore rifle range.  By the time we had the place ready to open at 10 am we had accounted for 7 rattlers from 15" to 41".  We found them everywhere but the two biggest were found in the picnic area where we had free food and drinks for the visitors.  No more were found that day but all members were told and kept their eyes and ears open.

More than 370 people, adults and children, showed up to try their hand at shooting for the first time.  We had the trap houses going as well as the sporting clays.  Every form of rifles were there for the people to try from rim fires to BIG BORES.  I have no idea as yet how many rounds of .22 lr the kids went through in both the rifle and pistol ranges.  Members were taking turns setting up clay pigeons and blowing up balloons for the kids to shoot.  All in all a great day was had by all members and visitors from the remarks given.  Everyone came away with full bellies, some sun-burning and hopfully a different views on hunting and shooting.  Happy Fathers Day everyone.   :D   Lawdog

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 03:10:56 PM »
Have any of you guys in snake country ever eaten snake?  I heard it tastes like chicken :wink: And I need to correct my previous post.  The rattle snake in Michigan is the Massasauga rattler.   :oops:
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 08:07:14 PM »
Longwinters,

It's been a while, but yes i have eaten snake before. To the best of my knowledge chicken would best describe the taste. I must say though, there isn't much meat on it.

HogFan

Offline Lawdog

b]Warning!!!!![/b]
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 09:41:15 AM »
Longwinters,

Sure have, many times.  Gave it to my kids when they were little and to the grandkids when they said they wanted to try it.  Nothing bad about it and it does taste something like chicken.  To me it great and makes a great party treat that a number of us bring to the gun club parties and such.  You take the meat off the skeleton and use it to make small meat balls the you serve without telling the people until AFTER they've eaten it.  You would be surprised at the number of people that, after being told go back for seconds even thirds and ask for the recipe.  Lawdog