Author Topic: Optima problems.  (Read 1321 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Optima problems.
« on: July 15, 2007, 09:24:51 AM »
After doing a bit of research on several makes/models I ended up buying an Optima. It's not the Optima Pro, just the regular .50 cal Optima 209 Mag. It has the nickel finish on the receiver and barrel and is stocked with the Mossy Oak synthetic stock. It's has produced some very tight groups using Powerbelts and some cast lead .44 cal conicals in Knight sabots. I only shoot loose powder, both Pyrodex RS and good old Goex 2F black powder (the real thing). I've been mindfull of CVA's advise on not loading more than 110grs of loose and have kept my loads at 90 and 100 grs. I'm not big on the pellets and have not tried any and likely will not. Here's my big problem- The rifle prints it's groups 6-8" low (depending on the projectile/powder combination) at a measured 50 yards. This is with the front sight adjusted all the way up. The crown (yes I understand it has a false muzzle) looks fine. The sight picture I'm using is a "dead on" hold or in other words I put the front fiber optic bead exactly where I want the bullet to land, as opposed to using a "6 o'clock hold" common with handguns or target rifles. I'm shooting off of a bench as well. Any advice?

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
Re: Optima problems.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »
JimG, I have the very same rifle. With my eye sight, I learned real quick a scope would be in order. With that said, all I can offer is mine is a shooter. I have a prostaff 3x9x40 and shooting 300g xtps and 90g of 777 it shoots 1.5" at 100 yards off the bench.

I am getting ready to setup my son's Traditions Pursuit which I believe has the same sites as the optima. It has been recommended to me to remove the stock sites and buy upgrades. I am going to keep the forward site but I am going to go with either a peep or ghost ring in the rear.

By the way, are you having any issues with the nickel staining with some cleaners?

Good luck with your Optima....I am really enjoying mine and looking forward to deer season.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:24:32 PM »
After doing a bit of research on several makes/models I ended up buying an Optima. It's not the Optima Pro, just the regular .50 cal Optima 209 Mag. It has the nickel finish on the receiver and barrel and is stocked with the Mossy Oak synthetic stock. It's has produced some very tight groups using Powerbelts and some cast lead .44 cal conicals in Knight sabots. I only shoot loose powder, both Pyrodex RS and good old Goex 2F black powder (the real thing). I've been mindfull of CVA's advise on not loading more than 110grs of loose and have kept my loads at 90 and 100 grs. I'm not big on the pellets and have not tried any and likely will not. Here's my big problem- The rifle prints it's groups 6-8" low (depending on the projectile/powder combination) at a measured 50 yards. This is with the front sight adjusted all the way up. The crown (yes I understand it has a false muzzle) looks fine. The sight picture I'm using is a "dead on" hold or in other words I put the front fiber optic bead exactly where I want the bullet to land, as opposed to using a "6 o'clock hold" common with handguns or target rifles. I'm shooting off of a bench as well. Any advice?

Well...I didn't know the front sites were adjustable...did you mean the rear site being adjusted all the way up?

Without shooting your set up...I can say either the front site isn't the correct height..or your moving on the target after pulling the trigger...Give the folks at CVA a call in the morning and discuss it with them...or you can e-mail them as well...They have always been very helpful to me..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:08:30 AM »
MAC, the front site is a florescent dot and only the rear can be adjusted. I never messed with them on my optima because I immediately scoped it. I have heard from others they aren't the best. The sites on my son's pursuit are the same. What kind of sites are on the Optima Elite? (muzzleloader barrel)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:12:18 AM »

It's a fluorescent Dura Bright fire site...They are some of the brightest sites I've used..They seem pretty sturdy...but I haven't hunted with them yet...

Mac

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
Yes I meant the rear sight, my bad. The dealer says that he can't do anything for me as CVA strongly prefers to go through the customer on warrenty issues, not the dealer. He said this is not the first time he has had problems with them (CVA) and other makes/models such as T/C regarding iron sights being unusable. He said CVA may be aware of some Optimas having POI vs POA issues and send me out a different set of sights.  Sooooo.....I guess I'm calling CVA. I was wanting a simple solution without involving going through customer service as I've never had much luck with CS departments in general but I'll give it a try. As for Old Rookies question, no i have never had and problem with the nickle finish. I have used a variety of black powder solvents and gun oils with no problems. What cleaner caused you problems?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:23:59 AM »

Jim:

You won't have a problem with the C/S department..If you e-mail them...be sure to put Graybeardoutdoors in the subject line..and address it to mark@cva.com

He will be able to help you...as will anyone else in that department..

Let us know how it goes..

Mac

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:42:49 AM »
Called CVA. Actually was rather painless. Did not wait at all, someone actually picked up the phone after just a few rings! Person was helpfull and is sending me a shorter front sight for free. Although he does not think that it will work. He thinks the barrel needs sent back. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Other companies need to take a page from BPI's handbook and see how BPI's CS works and then apply it to thier own companies.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »

Yup...I.T.Y.S.  ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Mac

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
JimG, can't be certain on the cleaner that stained the nickel. Primarily around the receiver. I primarily use the cva foam and then the cva rust preventer. Before I put it away, I wil use cylicone cloth. Any suggestions for getting stain off of nickel.

With it being a muzzleloader, I do wish I would have gone with a blued barrel.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »
Well I'm no expert by any means so no, sorry I really don't have an answer for you OldRookie. ??? I use primarily Butch's Bore Shine BP solvent/cleaner and WD-40 (the bulk 1 gallon can variety not the aerosol can kind) for cleaning and protection. I know many do not like WD-40 on firearms but for simple rust protection it is effective. I use  FP-10 for lubricant on moving parts. On centerfire or rimfires I substitute the Butch's for Outers Bore Foam for copper removal and an Outers powder solvent (much like Hoppes) for cleaning the bore. I think the nickle finish is plated so if you have discoloration or the like then something must of 'ate' at the nickle plating. If it where me and it bothered me AND IF THE NICKLE IS ACTUALLY PLATED AND NOT A PAINT I would try on the underside of the barrel where it would be hidden and take '0000' steel wool and your favorite gun oil and try to buff the finish. If it does not remove the nickle I would then try it on the stained areas to see if I could either remove or at least reduce the stains. This actually works well for light rust on blueing if used correctly. Just my two cents.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »
Oh and it HAS to be '0000' not '00' or '000' but actual '4 ought' steel wool. If not then it will be to harsh or rough on the finish.

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 05:48:25 PM »
I have a cva optima pro. Bought it the first year they came out. Wouldn't hold a group at any distance. Called Customer service. they had me send them the gun and behold they sent me a brand new one with a pack of power belts to offset the cost of what I paid for shipping. Said they tested it and it had something wrong with the barrel. turn around time was very fast. I give there customer service an A+

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 12:51:15 PM »
Well I got the sights today. The front sight is .010" taller so that will not work but the rear sight was a different style and was .088" taller at the mid point of adjust-ability and a total of .106" taller at the highest point of adjust-ability. Still no go. There was improvement I guess but it still shoots far too low. Looked very closely at the crown. Looks perfect. So I don't know what's wrong with this %$#&* thing. Been a real exercise in frustration. After doing some math provided by Brownells, I've come to the conclusion that I either need a rear sight that .259" taller or a front sight that is .259" shorter to make POI equal POA. That's alot folks. I give up. >:(

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »

That's got me stumped...Call them Jim...and see what they say...I know they will stand by their product...so I wouldn't fret over it...They probably will want to see it..so..be prepared to send it in..

Mac

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 03:35:08 AM »
Please see my update post entitled "Optima Update".