Author Topic: Trurret Index?  (Read 571 times)

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Trurret Index?
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:04:32 AM »
All my reloading has been done with a single stage press; Lee Challenger and Redding Boss. I'm getting back into reloading and wonder; Do all turret presses auto-index? If so, can the auto-index feature be disconnected? Reason being, I would like to do individual functions one at a time (de-cap/resize all, install primer on all cases, seat bullet in all cases, etc). I would have a turret with dies attached and adjusted, but use the press as a single stage. I would probably hand prime each case and weigh most charges.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Trurret Index?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »
lee sells both an auto index and a manual index press and if it were me id by the auto and disable it and if you ever wanted to go automatic youd have the set up.
blue lives matter

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »
Some turrets only move the dies and not the case. They are single stage with multiple dies. Are you upgrading to an automatic press or do you just want multiple dies?

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »
I saw the video of the Lee turret press in operation. A single ram, single case, multiple die set-up. Turret rotates with every throw of the handle. Raise the case into one die, lower the case, turret indexes, raise case into next die, lower case , turret indexes,  etc., until a complete cartridge is made. Lee videos:

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

I would like to know if the turret can be indexed by hand or must it be automatic? Other turret presses? Could I use a turret press like a single stage press?

Thnx,
Mike

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »
There are other turret presses that do not index. Lyman and redding for example. There is also the Hornady Lock and Load system.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
You can use the Lee turret as a single stage press. I disabled mine and just turn it by hand when I get ready to move to the next operation. Midway USA and Midsouth usually have the kit for a good price. I really like mine. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »
Buy the Classic Turret Press. It has auto index, which is easily disabled/enabled without tools in a couple of seconds. I used an old Lee turret press for years as a single stage. It works great and saves a lot of time by not having to change/adjust dies with each use. A month or so ago, I gave my old Lee Turret press to my son and bought the Classic Turret. My plan was to use it single stage like my old one. I added the powder measure and a safety prime and now load complete rounds, using the auto index. I really like it.  I have the option of going back to single stage batch loading at anytime should I so desire. No matter how you use it, you'll be happy with the Lee Turret.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 11:38:48 AM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate the info. Since volume isn't my main concern, I'll probably go with a set-up like Savage describes.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 09:52:54 PM »
The Lee turrets are the only ones I know that can be set up to auto index - or not - whichever your preference.

The Lyman (I use), Redding, RCBS, and Dillon must be moved manually.  The newest Lee Turret is sounding better and better to me.  I have read lots of good comments and very few bad ones.  I'd like the auto index myself.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:25:23 AM »
Dand,
Just taking my time with the Turret, I can easily load a couple hundred rounds in an hour using the auto index along with the safety prime and auto disk powder measure. My high volume stuff (.45ACP) I load on the progressive. The other stuff (9mm/.38/.357/.40/10mm/44mag/.45LC) I load on the turret. I have turrets set up for all of the above and use a micrometer adjustable charge bar for the powder measure. It only takes a couple of minutes to change calibers and be up and running. Don't even miss my Rock Chucker, (I gave that to my son when I got the first turret.) as I no longer load rifle. I do know a couple of shooters that load their rifle ammo on the Lee Turret as well. They seem to have no complaints.
Savage

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 05:42:50 AM »
The Lee auto index can be removed or reinserted in only seconds.  The low price and quick interchangeability of Lee turrets allows you leave you dies mounted and adjusted in their respective turrets.  An interesting exercise might be to price the turrets of competing machines (get braced) and check the speed of interchanging those turrets.  I think you will find the mention of 12-15" monkey wrenches in their process.

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 08:48:57 AM »
what the other guys say about the lee is rite on. i load every thing on mine ,includung 45/70 and 7mag..
savage how's that charge bar work with your measure? i
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
Warrior1,
The adjustable powder bar for the Auto Disc, is a $20 item from Lee. It's easily adjusted by checking charge weights on your scale, and is very consistent. I much prefer it over the fixed discs. For the large rifle cases I would think you would need a powder delivery system with greater volume. For the pistol cases it works great.
Savage

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »
thanks savage
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.