Author Topic: gun weight  (Read 616 times)

Offline lenny 308

• Trade Count: (0)
gun weight
« on: July 29, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »
Can anyone tell me how much a regular nef handi weighs and how much a bull barrel model weighs.  The nef website lists them at the same weight and I just can't see that being the case.  Thank you in advance for your input

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: gun weight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! ;) There's not much difference in the 22" barrels, the barrel diameter at the muzzle is just a tab bigger on the bull barrels, about .800" compared to about .650" to .725" or so for the standard contour, depending on the caliber of course. The 24" bull barrels are the ones that you're more likely to notice the weight difference. The next time I have a barrel with dismounted scope, I'll wieigh them and post the weights in the FAQs as I've done for the different stocks.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »
I have a regular and a bull in 22 inch and the weight difference with a scope on is not very noticable but the bull balances better I find.

Mc

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »
I will tell you this. I have an Ultra Varmint 243 with the 24'' bull barrel non fluted with a Rock mount bipod. I also have a Muller 8.5x25x44 scope on it. It is very heavy. There is nothing Handi about it. I would bet it weighs every bit of 12 or 13 pounds. I would not want to carry it around the woods all day. That works out fine for me though. I do not carry it around. When I am at the range I use the bench. When I am not I use the hood of my truck. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 04:30:16 PM »
Dale, I think you'll learn it's closer to 10lbs if you actually weigh it, the rifle weighs about 8lbs, scope and bipod another ~2lbs, I just weighed my 24" 243 Ultra Varmint with 4-16x50 Mueller Sport Dot in steel rings, with the 13-24" Harris which weighs 14oz, the package weighs 10lbs 8oz. The Sport Dot scope weighs about 2oz more than the Tactical and the Harris bipod weighs more than the Rock mount of equal size, if you have the 9-13" bipod, it weighs even less. ;)

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
Tim you forgot about that 2 1/2 pound sling I have on it. :o ;D LOL. It just seems real heavy then. ;)  Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »
Heh heh, by the time you pack it around all day, I bet it feels like it weighs 20lbs!!!! :o

Tim

Offline lenny 308

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 05:11:34 PM »
Thanks for the great input guys.  This is a great site and it seems like everyone here is very helpful.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 06:45:11 AM »
My 223 hb 22" is noticeably heavier than my 7mm-08 standard.
PS the hb is the same price as standard.
That's why I got it.
Sometimes I wish I had just got the standard contour.
I spend more time looking for coyotes than shooting them.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »
Ok, here's an actual weight comparison tween a 22" bull barrel 308 and a 22" stainless 30-06, after adjusting the weights for the scopes that are mounted in the same rings on both, the bull barrel weighs 4lbs-4oz, the standard contour 30-06 barrel weighs 3lbs-10oz, a 10oz difference. The bull barrels feel a lot heavier due to the weight forward feel, put a set of laminated stocks on them and the feel is better balanced. ;)

Tim

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 04:57:21 AM »
If it "feels" heavy now it will only get worse after carried for a couple hours.
Besides that 10oz is 20% more barrel weight.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
Quick is right about guns changing weight...

The 12 gauge Ultra-Slug I used to own had the  rarely seen "Variable Weight" option.  At the start of shooting hours it weighed 8 lbs by mid morning it was up to a solid 10lbs, by late afternoon a good 14, and by 30 minutes after sunset it was at least 20. Not seeing any deer only speeds up the process. 

Now that I think about it, variable weight is probably standard with the Ultra Slug.