Author Topic: .270 win. cartridge  (Read 706 times)

Offline Papaman

• Trade Count: (1)
.270 win. cartridge
« on: July 08, 2007, 06:54:07 AM »
Hey guys, could someone tell me what the minimum overall loaded length is of a 270 for a bolt action, or where to find the info.
Thank you, Papaman

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: .270 win. cartridge
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »
Papaman

Look here , just scroll down to the 270 win.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartspec.html

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:13:08 AM »
It depends on the weight of the bullet, etc.  Technically, a full wadcutter, if one existed for the .277 caliber, would load flush or a bit past the case mouth.  Jump to the rifling would be atrocious and accuracy probably terrible. So I guess minimum length would be the length of the case without a bullet seated.  I have seen 90 grain bullets seated backwards into the case—sort of like a wadcutter—and the end was only 1/8” past the case mouth.  I ain’t sayin’ I would approve of this and I didn’t see the round fired, but I understand they will shoot and are quite devastating at close range.  Maximum cartridge length is probably much more important than minimum length.  I think all books give the maximum lengths. Good-luck…BCB

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
Papaman

As bcb said it will be dependant on the type . style and weight of the bullet being used . One must watch to be sure that the bullet is not seated too deep and in the process loose neck contact in the ogive of the bullet to the point that the bullet will slip into the case .

Been there done that .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Papaman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 06:53:21 PM »
Hey you guys, thank you for the info ,it will be helpful. thanks again, Papaman

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 05:15:06 PM »
magazine length will be one factor to consider.stick with your manuals measurements to begin with, then when you are comfortable with the way these rounds shoot for you experiment with different with your cartridges length.
whatever you do check your completed cartridges to be sure they chamber. nothing worse than to show up at your shooting with a box full of unusable ammo. good luck. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.