Author Topic: William Malcolm scope for BC?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline DSMcG

• Trade Count: (0)
William Malcolm scope for BC?
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
Hello all, my first post... I have not seen any info regarding the Wm Malcolm 6x "period" scope marketed for long barreled BP rifles. This company says they have specific mounts for the BC.

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/index-malcolm.html

I shoot long range in other disciplines and would like to play around with the 45-70. I understand the BP LR shooters use open sights - it's just I use optics on my other rifles and this Chinese made optic struck my interest.

I happen to work down the road from Hi-Lux / Leatherwood in Torrance, Ca & have handled the thing....nothing special. The clarity was actually better than I expected. The quality is pretty rough. The sales VP was pretty clueless; throwing around catch phrases like "multi-coated", "matched lenses", " can handle the recoil of a 50-150!" (?)

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

DSMcG

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: William Malcolm scope for BC?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »
Welcome Aboard:

It isn't the one you mentioned...but...is along the same line I think...

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,122818.0.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline DSMcG

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 07:46:38 AM »
Mac11700,

Thank you for the link.

I really am surprised not to get a little intel on this scope. It has been on the market for some time.

I recently shot next to a fella with a rack full of Shilo Sharps rifles. He was preparing for an African hunt. He seemed to be a really switched on guy (obviously financially comfortable) and was very helpful with BP suggestions. (I actually plan on using smokeless.)

One thing that struck me, he was adamant about the lack of accuracy I will see with my BC. (He does not own one...kinda looked down his nose at me when I asked)

That kind of response motivates me to show up and put the purists in their place. This happens all the time in the Tactical circles.

Again, thank you for your help. I hope someone out there has some hands on experience with the Wm. Malcolm from Hi-Lux / Leatherwood.

Best regards,

DSMcG

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »
Welcome to GBO! The Malcolm scope has been discussed many times, but I don't recollect anyone buying one, most likely due to their cost, the Dixie scope that Handirifle is using has been discussed quite a bit too, and a couple fellas actually bought em, Edelweiss  is another, but I haven't seen a report on it yet.

As you noted, the lack of accuracy the Sharps shooter tried to relay about the BC is most likely jealousy due to the low cost of the BC compared to a replica Sharps, as the BC is a very accurate rifle, I have yet to see a negative report on a BC, I have 2 of them, a 45-70 and another that's been rechambered to 45-120-3¼" Sharps Straight, they're very accurate, I only shoot smokeless in them. ;) Bernie (dodd3) shoots 8" groups at 600 meters with his BC using blackpowder with a Smith long range ladder sight.

I've only shot to 200yds with mine, a 1" group with the Williams FP target sight and my old eyes shooting the 525gr BTB Piledriver at a little less than 1800fps is pretty good for me, there's 4 holes in the target below, the upper was my sighter shot since I didn't know where it would hit.

You would do well for yourself to check out the FAQs and Help sticky, lots of good info there for newbies, including longe range sight info.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,52561.msg309677.html#msg309677

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,112358.msg1098347776.html#msg1098347776

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,62996.msg380534.html#msg380534

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,102319.msg1098277453.html#msg1098277453

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DSMcG

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »
Thank you sir,

Very helpful links. It looks to me these replica optics are various levels of Chinese quality. They are what they are. Some look to be distributed by "name" companies = inflated retail prices.

The Leatherwood scope uses a spring loaded locating mount for the front mount. This looks a little suspect to me.

If this is a recoil absorbing feature, I am concerned about the ability to maintain zero.

I have never inspected a real optic / mount from the late 1800's so I cannot pass judgment on these pieces.

My main concern is investing 450+ on a "novelty" only to have it break actually using it. I intend to use it and use it alot.

On my working and comp guns, I have no problem investing what some might feel as alot of money on equipment that has a track record of being tough and reliable.

Thank you again.

I will keep the board posted.

DSMcG

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »
I thought that these external mounts were supposed to have a spring recoill absorbing mechansim on them but I don't see one on the Malcolm. Also, what happens when the barrel heats up. Can the scope slide in one of the mounts?

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 01:29:59 PM »
Here are some pics of the mounts to scrutinize!! ;D

Tim

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/scopes.html

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »
DSMcG
While mine isn't a Malcom, it is based on the same concept.  A little background, first I called and inquired about mounting a Malcom or Dixie on my 38-55 Target rifle.  It's the same as the BC but smaller caliber and 4" less barrel.

I was told, and I believe incorrectly now, that the Malcom or Dixie mounts would not work.  Standing AS IS they will not mount, BUT if you are willing to cut a dovetail in the barrel, forward of the chamber area, it can be mounted.  Be prepared to spend a good deal of money, as often the mounts are several hundred dollars themselves.  And decide if you want front or rear windage mounts.

The Malcom, as I understand, has a small rib on the belly of the scope, that the mounts use to keep the crosshairs aligned, and for lighter recoiling rifles they do use spring mounts.  I see some using a recoil spring, similar to Unertl type scope, by the way those type of mounts DO HOLD ZERO quite well.  I also see Malcom clamp mounts meant for high recoiling rifles, which the 45-70 would be.

You'd have to get the scope, mounts and take them all to a smith, unless you have the capability yourself, and have them fitted to the barrel.

Mine is a slow work in progress and I have high hopes for when it's done, but time will tell.  Mine is NOT the Malcom quality, it's like comparing Simmons scopes to Swarovski.

Keep us posted on what you decide and if you go ahead, any progress made. Good luck.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline DSMcG

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 05:55:40 AM »
Thank you for the insight.

I expect to receive my BC within a week or two.

I happen to have called a large outdoor shop in Ohio (I am traveling there on business this week) and they have two BC's on the rack. Last year they had one NIB for 350.00.

BTT...thanks again.

DSMcG

Offline DSMcG

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:55:43 AM »
How about that...I called that shop a little while ago to earmark one of those BCs. You guessed it , someone came in and snatched both of them up!

The fella helping me out said they had been on backorder for some time; " I told you to put some money down on one!"

I thought, naw...I have one on the way. What's that saying; "a bird in hand..."

Snooze you loose.

DSMcG

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 06:57:42 AM »
RR has 32 of em in stock!! ;D

Tim

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GCR1871