Author Topic: Scope Suggestion's  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Hog Leg

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Suggestion's
« on: July 11, 2007, 01:49:36 AM »
I'm thinking about the Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff for my USH 12g. I'm hunting in Florida and sometimes have to take long shots. Does anyone have any suggestion's ? Thanks for the help  :-\

Offline Hog Leg

Re: Scope Suggestion's
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:18:24 AM »
I've done a little research on the Bushnell Elite 3200 scope . Has anyone tried this scope ? I spoke to a employee at Natchez Shooters Supplies and he said that the Bushnell is a better scope than the Nikon .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:45:45 AM »
I would pay attention to the eye relief and get what has around 4" or more, those with just 3" may not make a good scope for a slug gun due to the recoil.  ;)

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=41

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=54
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:07:49 AM »
The Nikon 2x7x33 Prostaff has excellent eye relief and clarity. I have one on my 45/70 and one on my 12ga.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »
I have used both the Nikon 2x7x32 Prostaff and the Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 BDC. Both have good eye relief and hold up good.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:52:54 AM »
I use a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 on my USH...$80 and has held up to about 5 seasons of abuse without a sign of giving up...

Nothing fancy...Just what works.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 01:53:56 PM »
My favorite is the Leupold line of scopes, esp the VXII 2X7X32.

I mount them on the Ultra base with LO PRW Leupold rings.

Here is a shot at the clearances:

Here is one mounted on my 20 USH:

Here is another mounted on my 12 USH. This is a old shot when I had the 4x4 rings and std pallet wood still on it.

Here is another combo that works well. Weaver 4x4 rings in the extension version. 

I have one of these Nikon scopes. But its a varmint version. It is nice and clear and I have had no problems with it. I think you will like it!!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Hog Leg

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »
Thanks for the help . I'm going to try the Bushnell 3x9x40 Elite 3200 and I also ordered the Win. XP3 Sabot Slugs so I will let everyone know how they work when I try them . Tanks again .

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
I have tried two different Bushnell's on my USH and they don't have enough eye relief! What happens is you end up crawling up on the stock to get a full sight picture, then wack a half moon scar above your eye. Even if you don't get hit your going to worry about it and your groups will go down the drain. Get a little more eye relief.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Hog Leg, once that scope bites ya, you can always put it on a rifle with less recoil, the 3.3" of eye relief of the 3200 is ok for a centerfire rifle of light to moderate recoil, but the 12ga slug gun is likely gonna leave its mark on ya, a bloody one at that!!  :'( Ya can't say we didn't warn ya. ;D

Tim

Offline Smoke Wagon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 03:35:49 PM »
Hey guys I'm sitting next to Hogleg and was reading the replies to your post Quick. You got him a little worried about scope bite now, but he said he's going to ride with it now....something about pride ;D. I'll be there when he sights it in and if it bites him I'll post the pictures. That's what partners are for  ;D ;D ;D. Either way it will defintly be worth the price of admission. :D
" Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called the Children of God" Mathew 5:9

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
Maybe this will dissuade him!!

Offline Hog Leg

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
   When your dumb !! You have to be tough !!!  :) :)

Offline Smoke Wagon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 04:53:42 PM »
A smart man learns from his mistakes.....A wise man learns from the mistakes of others
" Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called the Children of God" Mathew 5:9

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 03:05:52 PM »
I can see where the scope contours make a big difference.

I just got a 20ga USH and I already had a Bushnell 1.75-4X scope with long eye relief. I tried a set of Leupold Medium rings and they will not work as the scope has a big power adjusting wheel and hits the hammer.

I guess I need to pick up some High rings.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 02:34:42 AM »
I can see where the scope contours make a big difference.

I just got a 20ga USH and I already had a Bushnell 1.75-4X scope with long eye relief. I tried a set of Leupold Medium rings and they will not work as the scope has a big power adjusting wheel and hits the hammer.

I guess I need to pick up some High rings.

Bushnell makes a good scope don't get me wrong...but they are NOT the best for handis OR similar guns.  The larger than normal lenses and power adjustment rings NECESSATATE HI rings. High rings are not the best for good ergonomic shooting. A good stable position with a a lo-mounted scope in a accurate rifle are the recipe for a accurate long range shooting firearm. Craning you neck, with your cheek hovering over just off the stock is not the best.

For these reasons I will never recomend the Trophy or Banner scopes for Handi's.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »
I just bought a Nikon 2-7x32 Prostaff for my Benelli Nova. 3.8-3.9 in. eye-relief. And a Lifetime Full Warranty, without any paperwork, and it is transferred to whomever owns the scope( not limited to original owner).  The only scope I liked better was a Leupold, but there was not a $100 difference between them. I also looked at the Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5x32.  The clarity and finish were not as good as the Nikon in a side-by-side comparison.  And the Bushnell was only $10 cheaper.  IMO, you should have stuck with the Nikon. 
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 04:15:41 PM »
Yes, I can see that fact on the Bushnells. I got the high Leupolds on last night and they do clear the hammer OK but you have to ease your cheek pressure off the stock just a bit.

I am new to H&Rs but it seems since the Ultra does not come with sights and they know it will be scoped, they would use a low mount hammer to insure clearance. It is actually a liability issue and in this sue crazy world I am surprised the hammer does not have an extension attached like a newer Winchester lever gun.

Just a thought that I am sure has been talked about before.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 05:03:08 AM »
Yes, I can see that fact on the Bushnells. I got the high Leupolds on last night and they do clear the hammer OK but you have to ease your cheek pressure off the stock just a bit.

I am new to H&Rs but it seems since the Ultra does not come with sights and they know it will be scoped, they would use a low mount hammer to insure clearance. It is actually a liability issue and in this sue crazy world I am surprised the hammer does not have an extension attached like a newer Winchester lever gun.

Just a thought that I am sure has been talked about before.

That was the point of my post above. If you choose a more conventional designed scope...you CAN USE LO RINGS. 

With this setup, (Leupold VXI or II scope, Leupold PRW rings LO height) using a factory handi Monte Carlo stock set,  lines my eye up perfectly with the center of the scope.

Also, Tim (Quickdtoo)has made some minor hammer mods that make for better clearances. I believe he also has fit the Winchester style, off-sett hammer extensions to a handis hammers.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 05:59:30 AM »
Swift optics makes a good scope for the money, as well.  I have one on my 308 handi, and have had no problems through 3 seasons.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 07:21:08 AM »
Natchez Shooters Supply must be over stocked with Bushnell's. My USH 12ga. Has a Monarch UCC 3x9x40 BDC mounted with low Burris Z rings, yes low rings. The only thing I did was cut the hammer off above the spurr that you don't need anyways. Now I have 1/16th" clearrance between power ring and hammer. I would recommend eye relief of 3.5 to 4", if you go 5 to 6" you loose field of view.

Offline O44

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
  • TRADED HER FOR A HAWKIN GUN!!
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
I use a 4x simmons PRO diamond scope on my 20 ga rifled gun with great success.