Author Topic: .308 Ultra Range Report & Handi #5.  (Read 387 times)

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
.308 Ultra Range Report & Handi #5.
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:38:50 PM »
Finally got this bad boy to shoot.   Took some advice from the .243 group and tried some Fusion ammo in 150 gr....and brought a box of the Winchester USA 147 gr. FMJ's.   Both loads are now shooting sub 1" groups when i do my part.  Polished up the barrel a bit and floated the forend.   Shot three groups with the Fusion stuff and had 4 of 5 shots touching on each group.....  that 5th one always gets me....  I never hold the trigger on that last shot.   I guess I'm anxious to make sure it fell in there.   The Winchester stuff groups just as well, but about 1" higher than the Fusion rounds.   Might try those on some coyotes this winter.   They were 3.5" high at 100 yards which should make them a nice 300 yard coyote round. 

Well, and I have been reading the .243 posts because I just purchased my 5th H&R/NEF.   It's a '93 NEF Handi in .243 Win.  Looks like it's in great shape and I'm picking it up Monday night at the FFL.  Gonna try the Fusions again, and maybe the Winchester Silvertips I've read so much about.

Here she is:

The price was definately right on this one. Not sure if I'm crazy about the Schnable style forend.......but looks like I have some more range time in my near future!! Can't beat that.  ;D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: .308 Ultra Range Report & Handi #5.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »

Good Shooting...

It's nice to hear about it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 05:04:42 AM »
The Federal Vital shocks also shoot well in my 308. '06 and 243 rifles. They are only slightly more expensive than my reloads at about $.50 a pop. The brass is good for reloading - at least 5 times so far.

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:03:43 AM »
I've been contemplating handloading now that I'm getting more into shooting the rifles.   Just don't have the $$ to acquire equipment just yet.  I reload my own shotshells and have really seen the benefits of doing such on the skeet field.

Seems like, for factory loaded stuff, Federal has pretty good rounds no matter which you choose.  Their ballistics are right on in my rifles too.  I didn't get to shoot that much distance yesterday, but in my second trip to the range with the .308, I was shooting 2.5" high at 100, 1-1.5" high at 200 and 6-7" low at 300....    Pretty much what's published by Federal for the Fusion line at 150 gr.    This third time though, I'm finally getting the groups that are making me happy!