Author Topic: New Guy w/204 and some questions  (Read 411 times)

Offline bgaston

• Trade Count: (0)
New Guy w/204 and some questions
« on: August 02, 2007, 04:14:15 PM »
Hey guys, I have been on here browsing around for a while.  Thanks for all the great information!  I purchased, at I think a great price, Ultra Varmint 204 w/Bushnell 4x12 Scope, and 90 rounds of ammo.  The gun is practically new, with 50 rounds through it.  I got all of that for $350 !! I thought it was a killer deal and jumped on it.  My question is about my scope, I have read many of the recommendations on here for the power of scope, and i think i will be happy with a 4x12.  I finally got to shoot it today, and it just seems like i need to get my eye really close to the scope.  So close that it feels like with the recoil, I am going to hit my eye on the scope.  Some people have told me to move the scope forward, and some say move it back.  It has an eye relief, but I dont think any of this will help, because by me moving my face closer and farther away from the scope it still needs to be about 2-3 inches away from the scope.  Am I being paranoid, or what??  Is this just the fact that its just a lower end scope??  Any ideas, will moving the scope around help at all? I feel like it is affecting my shots because i am afraid of getting hit in the EYE.  Any ideas??
Also, did i get a killer deal?? Or what.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: New Guy w/204 and some questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
I wouldnt worry too much about recoil with the 204. 3 inch eye relief should be enough. May just take awhile getting used to the new set up.  Sounds like ya got a pretty good deal.    Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline bgaston

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
Well, I thought that 2-3 inches would be enough, but it doesnt seem to be that bad with my Burris 3x9 on my 7mm.  Although I would have to say that the recoil is more than I expected in the 204, i have heard that you can see the bullet hit the target through the scope.  Probably just takes some practice.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 04:46:39 PM »
Welcome to GBO! The 204 only has about 2½lbs of recoil, not enough to even be concerned about, one of the 204's great features is the recoil is so light that you can keep the target in sight and see the impact of the bullet, holes just magically appear in targets and from all I've read, small varmints just explode into red mist, the recoil doesn't spoil the view at all. The 4-12x40 Bushnell Banner has 3.3" of eye relief, I have a Mueller Eraticator with 3" of eye relief on my 204 Handi which weighs less than the 204 Ultra Varmint, and I have no problems with recoil since there is none to speak of. ;)

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »
bagaston, Welcome to GBO, I agree with Jay, 3"eye relief is about what my scope  is and I shoot the 204 standard HB , 22" barrel. I don't think you got anything to worry on recoil, the 204 is pretty mild.Sounds like you did okay. What  kind of groups did you get with it? I'll be reloading for my 204 this Saturday.
                                                     Good luck    Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 04:58:31 PM »
Just like it has already been said here. The recoil of the 204 is probably not much more than the 22 Mag. I also had the same 204 as you and loved it. I have killed Groundhogs way out there with it. I would say that if it only has 50 rounds through it to polish the bore with Flitz. It will help in the accuracy.   Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline bgaston

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:10:39 AM »
Thanks fellas, I think I just need to get used to my new setup.  Yesterday was the first day that I was able to take it to the range.  Right off the bat, I had a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards that was 1.5 inches high and 2 inches to the left.  So I started to dial it in, but ran out of time, hope to get out again today, not quite done dialing it in just yet.  But all in all, I think I am going to be very happy.  I am not a "reloader" yet but will be soon.

Also, DALESCARPENTRY, did you say you had or have the ultra varmint, did you get rid of it and why?  Also, what bullets did it like?

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
Yea I have the Ultra Varmint. I just recently sold the 204 barrel because I needed the money. I put my 24'' bull barrel on it and I now hunt Groundhogs with it. If you go back a couple pages you can read my adventures this summer with it. It is titled Groundhog hunting with the Ultra Varmint 204    243 Fluted.      Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »
Your .204 should just barely twitch, you should be able to see something like http://www.22-250.com/cup.wmv in your scope, this is a 17 Remington with 30gr Bergers.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.