Author Topic: New project starting - Carronade  (Read 16534 times)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New project starting - Carronade
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »
now that you mentioned a plastic container, would probably cost too much though??? some of those long and deep livestock troughs??? just wondering if it would be a perfect fit???
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2007, 04:51:18 PM »
big plastic tote bin is about $10 bucks.

Someone mentioned to me one of those dog house igloos'. I will keep my eyes open for one of them thingies as well.

Now that you mention it, a 100 gallon Rubbermaid watering tub might be close to the right size as well... I'll wander out to where the llamas are tomorrow and measure one. Thanks for mentioning it. (They an't cheap though, but they are durable)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
The stainless carriage bolts that are supposed to hold the rear axle in place arrived two days ago.

I replaced the temporary galvanized bolts with the stainless ones this afternoon. I was surprized at the corrosion on them already... less than two weeks.

One I could not remove without cutting it off.

Stainless is the way to go guys !!!  :D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2007, 05:26:17 PM »
If you store your guns in plastic boxes you stand a very good chance of rusting. Plastic doesn't let air circulate and breathe and the gun will rust. 

I can't tell you how many guns have been brought into my shop to be refinished that were stored in gun cases, blankets and plastic gun boxes then shoved under the bed until next hunting season and were all rusty when brought out later.  Cannons are no different.   First,  after firing you need to let the guns sit out for a while to get truely dry.  A week or so in a dry climate, longer in the humid regions.  If you store them away, they should be stored away where air can circulate around them.  This is why guns can and will rust in a gun safe. No circulation.  Be careful for the same reason with Tampions.  Keep the stem short and don't put them right after cleaning. Wait a while until the gun has had a chance to completely dry after a few days.

No matter what you do the the iron hardware on your gun is gonna rust.  The Stainless steel stuff is nice but it will corrode  also, just not as fast.

Be sure when you build you carriage you use well season dry wood, especially is you use the oaks.  The tannic acids in oak will go after iron.

Periodically you need to take you carriage apart and check for rust an corrosion.  If rust gets started in the through bolt not only can it weaken the bolt, but rust swells and can split and weaken your wood.  It's not good to learn this while firing.

Just a little bit of advice based on my experience.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
Sorry I got in on the tail end of this thread, but I just had to say FANTASTIC! That is a real wonderful rig. I know you have put plenty of elbow grease into it. Funny how the little things such as trunnion caps and hand formed rings can really eat up time.I really loved the smoke & fire picture. I'm sure you have already thought of this but you may want to put some anti seize on your stainless threads just for extra insurance. Keep up the good work. Tracy

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2007, 02:21:20 PM »
As soon as I get caught up with other projects, I plan to remove each thru-bolt and trim it to length.... most of them are  1/2 inch to an inch too long. I will be adding anti-seize at that time. I avoided it the first time around because I want the varnish to be nice and hard before I mess with that stuff. I'm sure you know what I mean if you have used it before.  ;)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2007, 05:59:37 AM »
I guess this is sorta like when I hung fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror of my 61 Chevy Impala back in the mid 70's

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2007, 06:43:47 AM »
Nice touch, Rickk, much better than fuzzy dice. Gotcha with the anti seize, I always end up like the tin man in the wizard of oz when I mess with it.  Tracy

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2007, 08:51:05 PM »
You already know I like it !!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2007, 03:50:29 AM »
Ya Tropico, I knew you would when I saw it in the catalog I ordered it from.

O ya, a package with a couple of CD's  is going in the mail for ya today (finally).

Offline Fluxion

« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
I love it!  ;D  I have skull krommets similar to that on my bike and I use them to hold my license plate onto my truck. It sure makes a nice addition to your cannon.