Author Topic: air pistol question  (Read 851 times)

Offline horsepower

• Trade Count: (0)
air pistol question
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »
I apologize if this is not an appropriate question here.  If so, let me know and I will remove or one of the mods can.  I am training a horse for 100-mile endurance racing and as such, we are getting farther and farther from home on our rides.  The dogs within 10 miles or so of me know how to behave.  Outside of that, well let's just say we have had some pretty intense moments.  I am looking for something to convince these kinds of dogs that horses are not chase toys!! 

I have thought about pepper spray and someone elsewhere suggested ammonia but I have concerns of drift affecting the horse.  About the best thing I can think of is an air/CO2 pistol.  I DO NOT want to kill or even injure these dogs.  I just want them to keep a respectful distance.  I don't think a pump up pistol will work because there is usually more than one dog.  Any suggestions on brands/styles to use to spook the dogs away and make coming at the horses unpleasant instead of fun.  I'm not looking to spend a mint.  This will probably be the only use for this specific pistol. 

I am not at all knowledgeable about airguns so I have no clue as to how many fps is going to hurt but be very out of the ordinary to even penetrate the skin.  These would all be no more than 10 to 15 foot shots.  Any ideas or advice.

Offline caverun

Re: air pistol question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »
I understand the problem but even the small air soft pistols that shoot small plastic balls have muzzle velocities that could cause injury. The pellet pistols that I am aware of will have velocities of several hundred feet per second with lead pellets. Also, at any distance the appearance of a pellet gun is that of a firearm-this might cause lots of problems from the dog owners or anyone that might see you aiming one of these at a dog. I am assuming of course that these are not wild dogs. That would be a different story. There are OC sprays that shoot a stream more like foam rather than a thin liquid. It stays pretty much in one place and has less tendency to contaminate the surrounding area. Can't remember the brand name but I'm sure a search on the net would locate the source.   

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 06:48:09 AM »
i had dog problems to. i just-ed used the  Crosman Pulse M70 full -auto soft airgun on them. It hurt them a little but they stayed away from me. It was like getting a bee sting.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
We used to spray dogs with a water bottle while cycling. A shot in the face with the water would stop them cold.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:39:25 PM »
thought about a paintball gun? it won't hurt them but it will stop them from chasing you. you can pick one up for pretty cheap and they have pistols too that use c02 cartridges
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline BUTCHER45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »
     I know there are riot-type rubber rounds made for my .45 airgun on the pyramidair site; there may be other calibers of rubber ammo available.  I would go to Pyramidair and check out their ammo section.  If it's out there they probably have it.

BUTCHER
click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow