Author Topic: .451 Gibbs question  (Read 624 times)

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
.451 Gibbs question
« on: August 08, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
 I'am going to buy the Pedersoli Gibbs target muzzle loader. After sticker shock of how much store bought cast bullets are I think I will cast my own.
Several questions I have. I thought muzzleloaders had to use a 100% pure lead projectile ? I'am seeing numbers for the Gibbs 1:20, 1:30, Is that one part tin
to 20 parts lead ? I can get plenty of pure lead from a local scrap yard,where do I get the tin ? is there a sodier I can mix ? Does the Gibbs shoot a conical ?
Will the T/C maxi pure lead work ? will I need to size if I buy a good quality mould ? Still confused as to why Pedersoli does not recommend all pure lead bullet
for the Gibbs.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: .451 Gibbs question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:23:29 AM »
That rifle shoots either a grease grooved or paper patched bullet. You'll want to cast them from 1:20 to 1:30 tin/lead. You need a mould that throws a 400-500 grain bullet at .452" or so and a sizing die to make it just slip into the bore. (Pedersoli makes the proper mould.)  Basically what you'll have is a caseless 45-70, with similar performance. If you want to learn about this rifle, there is a long range muzzleloader forum out there and over on cast boolits a guy by the name of Buckshot has one that he shoots quite a bit with very good results. I too would love to have one of those rifles, some day I may be able to buy one! I think it would be fun for BPCR silhouette matches if I could get off my shots fast enough to keep up with the cartridge guys!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: .451 Gibbs question
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »
I have a .458 Green mountain barrel on My Renegade. I shoot a 475 gr Whitworth bullet.

This barrel is 32" long and has a twist of 1-18 it has Lyman 57 SML rear sights, and a Lyman 17 AML front glob sight with Lee shavers inserts. My load is 90 gr of Pyrodex select RS. I want to try the P the next time I shoot.
The lead I am using is reclaimed lead shot. It is a little harder than pure lead and shoots very well in this gun.
If you get the gibbs you can shoot this Whitworth bullet but you will need to resize it. Lee can set you up with a sizer CHEEP!
 Ron