Author Topic: OldRookie, got some info on the nickel tarnish problem.  (Read 879 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
OldRookie, got some info on the nickel tarnish problem.
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:14:10 AM »
You stated a while back that you may be having some tarnish issues with your Optima. Well guess what, so am I now! I checked with my local gunsmith and he said that Hoppe's or similar solvent products will tarnish nickel based finishes. He even showed me a disclaimer on a bottle of Hoppe's #9. "Do not soak nickel-plated firearms in No.9. Wipe nickel surfaces dry after cleaning." He said he does not know what in Hoppe's or similar solvents like Outer's Tri-Care or similar products does the tarnishing but he said it will do it every time. He gave me a product from Pro-Shot Products that he said would minimize the tarnishing. It's a "metal care cloth" soaked in who knows what that will in fact reduce the amount of tarnish on the metal. It ran me about $4. The cloth is re-use able as long as you put it back in it's bag. I tried it yesterday and like I said it seems to works fairly well. Just thought I'd pass it along. He said the tarnish will not hurt anything or get worse like pits or actual rust, more a cosmetic issue than anything.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
Re: OldRookie, got some info on the nickel tarnish problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:01:29 PM »
JimG thanks for the information. I have used so many solvents I am not sure which caused the problem. I have changed to Butches Bore Shine for muzzleloaders. I think its a keeper. As far as the nickel issue, as soon as the season is over I am getting it dipped in teflon.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:12:54 AM »
I have the same thoughts too. I'm looking at maybe one of the baked on coatings myself for both the receiver and barrel.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
JimG, check out blackicecoatings.com. I have read several threads of satisfied customers and seems resonably priced.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
Thanks, will check them out.