Author Topic: Are all Clip-On Wheel Weights Alike?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Racer X

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Are all Clip-On Wheel Weights Alike?
« on: June 29, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
I know to stay away from the adhesive type, but are the clip-on type everyone uses all OK to use, or are there some of those I should also avoid using?

Also, is $20 for a 5 gallon bucket full a fair price? I remember tire places used to give them away. 
Estranged eldest son of Mom and Pops Racer and older brother of legendary Mach V race car driver Speed Racer

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Are all Clip-On Wheel Weights Alike?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:16:18 AM »
Look for ones that are rivited to the clips they are zinc and its bad news for your alloy!!!!
blue lives matter

Offline jgalar

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 03:49:30 AM »
They will look "different" but they also don't melt the same as lead. When your melting down your weights if you see one that doesn't look to be melting the same as the others - scoop it out.

Offline Racer X

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »
Look for ones that are rivited to the clips they are zinc and its bad news for your alloy!!!!

Lloyd, would you please clarify. You say if the clips are riveted, those are the ones to avoid? Also, are those type with the zinc more prevalent than the "good" kind?

When I was about 14 years old (back in the early 80's), one of my neighbors cast bullets. I used to ride around on my bike to gas stations and tire places collecting wheel weights. In exchange, he would cast me all the bullets I wanted for my Security Six.  Back then, I didn't understand anything about alloys, but we used all the wheel weights I could collect, except for the adhesive ones.

I have not started casting yet. Before I buy all the equipment, I want to make sure I can stockpile an adequate supply of wheel weights and I don't want to collect the wrong kind.

Thanks
Estranged eldest son of Mom and Pops Racer and older brother of legendary Mach V race car driver Speed Racer

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:14:12 AM »

Lloyd Smale said

My question;  Are all zinc wheel weights riveted to the clips?

I've done lots of bullets from wheel weights, but I don't remember seeing any that were riveted to the clip.

Thanks
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline jgalar

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 03:46:14 AM »
If you pay $20 for a  5 gallon bucket that holds maybe 70lbs of lead, and you're casting 150 grain bullets your cost per bullet is .0061.

Offline Trickyasafox

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
a full 5 gal bucket weighs over 120 lbs. i pay 20 bucks a bucket by me and don't feel that the price is unreasonable. local markets vary
if by yes you mean no then definately

Offline copilot001

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:57:11 AM »
Zinc wheel weights are usually marked as such...I think It,s a ZU  mark...or is it ZN ?
best way to check what you have is to scratch the  weight with a small screwdriver, if it takes off a curl of metal it,s a lead weight...If all it does is scuff the metal  It,s zinc...
Don,t throw away the flat strip weights that stick on with tape or glue, they are usually a pure lead or pretty close to pure.....The best stuff for B/P cartridge or muzzleloaders.

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:56:22 AM »
Another way to separate the zinc weights is to monitor your smelting temperature, and keep it at 600-650 degrees.  Zinc melts at around 700 degrees, and will just float on top with the rest of the trash at 600-650.  Skim it off with the steel clips and other trash.

Some   zinc weights are marked with a Z or Zn, but not all.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'