Author Topic: "Would like Y'alls help for .308 WCF loads"  (Read 705 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
"Would like Y'alls help for .308 WCF loads"
« on: August 12, 2007, 04:44:40 AM »
Need your help,

I would like to start shooting cast bullets in my .308 H&R single shot rifle. I have some gas check bullets from the following molds.

RCBS .30-180-FN 546
Lee C309-180-R
Lee C309-200-R
and another 180 grain bullet that looks like a Lee but can't find in their catalog.

All bullets are sized to .309 with gas checks.

The powders I have on hand is: IMR 4320, Hodgdon Varget, Alliant 2400, and Alliant Unique.

My goal is for a 150 yard deer hunting load.

I have the reloading stuff to reload with, just not the data to do it.

Thanks for your help and V/r.

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: "Would like Y'alls help"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:25:07 AM »
If they are hard cast bullets, then just use the same load data as for jacketed and work up loads just as you would for the jacketed.

If they are hard cast, then pressure should be less than with the jacketed, using a good lube. ie LBT Blue.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: "Would like Y'alls help for .308 WCF loads"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:01:27 AM »
Before you do anything, make either a Cerrosafe cast or an impact impression of the throat. Measure it. If it's any bigger than .3095, the bullets you have aren't going to be very satisfactory. Now see if the bore riding section of the bullets fits the bore. You want a snug thumb press with light engraving on the tops of the lands. If they fall in, you're going to be less than satisfied. Also look at the lube on the bullets - the hard crayon type is worse than worthless. Something like 50/50 Alox/beeswax is the standard, and there are many other good ones. If everything fits properly, then as mentioned above just follow he reloading manuals for something near the start loads. Lean toward the faster rifle powders and ones known to work over a wide pressure range, such as 3031 and 4895. Personally I have great luck with AA5744 and IMR4759 in the 308, if you have any of those. Stay away from ball powders that don't burn well at low pressures, they'll make life hard on you trying to find a good load. Have fun, and with patience you should have good luck finding your 150 yd. deer load. (though you'll want to learn how to anneal the noses of your cast bullets so they expand for clean kills.)
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."