Author Topic: Visited Majestic World Lodge, PA  (Read 1926 times)

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Visited Majestic World Lodge, PA
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:59:24 AM »

Rocky Mt. elk in background.  In foreground is a red stag / elk cross which this lodge calls a "promo bull".

Rocky Mt. elk charged up with testosterone.

Majestic World Lodge hosted an open house event on September 15.  My wife and I enjoyed the visit and saw many amazing high scoring bulls of both species.  Several elk were bugling, which is a special treat.  But truthfully, I'm more focused upon red stag.  I also have a different expectation for the actual hunt conditions than offered here.

I am neither endorsing this place nor persuading anyone away from Majestic World Lodge. 

If interested in more photos of the animals and the grounds, send me a private message with your email address.
TR

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Visited Majestic World Lodge, PA
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 04:04:30 PM »
So...how big is the property do you think?
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline T.R.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Doc:

I was told by Manager Don Callen that the hunt area is approx. 100 acres of thick brushy woodlands.  But the entire place is much larger than that.  Don told me it is common for a spot and stalk hunt to last 2-3 days.  Tree stand hunters sometimes request the animal be driven to them which is a common European method.  Bow hunters, riflemen, muzzle-loader hunters all welcome here.

Most of this property consists of segregated pastures with elk bulls of various ages and sizes.  When I was there, a colossal 7 X 7 bull elk was in a 5 acre pasture with approx. 30 cows of both red deer and Rocky Mt. elk.  He would be breeding them all to produce future stock.  The cross breeds actually strengthen and extend the gene pool due to genetic factors.  I observed several "promo bulls" that were in the 2.5 - 3.5 age class with impressive antlers.

Here is how it works: the animals are raised in fenced captivity for many years and briefly moved into the hunting area for the client(s).  The animal is hunted and killed.  After that, lodge staff take over to remove the animal for caping. Butchering services available.

The Lodge is quite large with plenty of spacious seating for groups.  Bedrooms are furnished nicely.

Pennsylvania has laws governing the raising of wildlife stock. These laws virtually guarantee a healthy animal that is not mis-treated.  The elk I saw were quite large in both body & antler.  The pastures were several acres each.  Nothing like a cage was observed here.

I have many interior lodge photos, manicured lawns, fenced pastures to share upon request.

TR

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:05 AM »
Clearly NOT hunting. That's as close to a "canned hunt" as I've ever heard it described. They probably also offer a service to shoot it for you and just ship the head mounted out to you so you don't even have to bother to show up. It's places like that that give the exotics industry a bad name.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline T.R.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
Truthfully, hunting exotics can be challenging and rewarding.  That's why I visit a place before booking a hunt.  In this case, we wanted to visit our daughter and timing worked out perfectly for the open house.

Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania are beautiful. At one point we stopped at a scenic overlook.  The Allegheny River twisted through steep hills in the valley below and I told my wife it reminded me of the Rhine River Valley of Germany.  A few miles later the EXIT sign said, New Germany.  No kidding.

TR

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
I certainly agree that hunting exotics is enjoyable and can be challenging under the right circumstances. However putting them in a 5 acre area is NOT hunting by any means and not many folks would consider having them driven past you until you get a shot isn't either.

It really matters not to me in the least if someone wants to do it so long as it's legal where done. I'd not want to but that's me. For sure elk need way more room than the entire operation consists of to even remotely call it a hunt. I still say places like that are why hunting of exotics in the US has a bad name with so many hunters and the general public as well. If it takes someone 2-3 days to kill a critter in a five acre pen then the "hunter" likely shouldn't be trying in the first place. Sorry I love hunting exotics and support it fully which is why this forum exists here but a place like that is not hunting and is only hurting the industry.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline T.R.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:08:13 AM »
Graybeard:

You did not read what was written.  I stated that the hunting area is said to be 100 acres.   

But no matter.  I'm not interested in hunting here either but I want the Lodge to get a fair review.

TR

Offline cam69conv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
As almost always Grey and I are in complete agreement. Its not even so much the acreage of the "hunt" ( said laughing) area but how you just stated they are raised. I to am a strong supporter of exotics ranches and hunts. But in my own opinion anything less that 1000 acres is not a hunt but a kill. That being said, with how you said they are raised then released just prior to the hunt is simply ludicrous! That animal has absolutly no chance whatsoever for the simple reason that is hasnt even had time to acclimate to its surroundings not to mention that its on 100 acres. LMAO If it took me more than an hour to take a "trophy" on 100 acres with that raising situation I would quickly call greybeard to come shoot me and take me the hell out of my misery. Heres a fair review of that place from someone that is a supporter of exotics hunting. Its clearly (going from your discription) a canned hunt and pretty much what we all as hunters dispise. Gives no sporting chance whatsoever to the animal and may as well be just a high priced, fancy, kill it yourself, meat market. Sorry if this sounds harsh but one thing you will find on this site is honesty.
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline T.R.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »
Like I said in the beginning of this post, my hunting expectations do not match what's offered.

In my opinion, the best exotics hunting outfits do not have much human contact with the animals.  The acreage and foliage should be  sufficient to support the animals.

TR

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 02:28:38 PM »
TR,  I would feel the same way.  Nice looking animals, but not my idea of hunting Elk.   It is even smaller than the place at the hunting show I posted about.  It's sad, but those beautiful animals raised in small pens, and then turned loose into a 100 acre enclosure sure doesn't sound fair.   It is curious that it takes 2-3 days to find and shoot a pen raised animal, or needing it to be driven to the hunter, I mean shooter , sounds either like a place for perhaps disabled folks who are not physically able to hunt, or maybe lazy folks.  Not sure which.   What were the prices they quoted?     ::)
markc