Author Topic: H&R/NEF Case Hardening  (Read 525 times)

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
H&R/NEF Case Hardening
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the case hardening finish on the newer H&R/NEF rifles is getting paler?
In the last two years I have fondled a variety of these rifles and have noticed the finish is getting closer and closer to a "white" finish. If anyone has an older case hardened rifle, hold it up next to a new one, you will be surprised. The next question I have is; Where can I send my receivers and buttplates to get the finish I desire? I notice that I can send it back to the factory, but I doubt I will get the outcome I'm looking for. I didn't really see the variation until I pulled my old H&R 10 GA. goose gun out of the back of the gunsafe. The thing is nostalgic! If I were home I would take a picture of old vs. new. Can someone help me out with a picture or two? Perhaps I am being too picky, but I'd be willing to spend a little more to get what I like. The change must have been insideous enough that we didn't notice, or perhaps we did and didn't care. Forgive the spelling, I'm from Missouri.
Thanx,
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R/NEF Case Hardening
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »
Don, I think the treatment on the BC/Target frame is more of a case coloring treatment than an actual case hardening surface treatment of traditional workmanship. I'd venture to guess that the time spent on them is far less than what maybe the old H&R did on theirs, I know my '91 Topper is nicer than either of my BC/Target frames, but the older Toppers were very nicely done.

Tim

http://www.ronsgunshop.com/finishes.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »
I saw a 1960s Topper in 30/30 at the last gun show and almost bought it just for the frame. The colors were spectacular.
I also just helped sort through the firearms of a recently deceased buddy. He had a couple of H&R shotgun frames that were amazing
compared to current case colors.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
I have an early 70s Topper 12ga slug gun, with case hardening that has a lot of color, and is beautiful.  That is the first thing people notice about it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.