Author Topic: New Electronic CVA muzzle gun  (Read 1138 times)

Offline giturgun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
New Electronic CVA muzzle gun
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:28:06 AM »
Had one of my friends pick up one of these , soon as it was on the market. He brought it over yesterday and this thing is awesome . Shot every time with no problem, no primer to worry about . Anyone else got one yet. Would like to hear your comments on what U think about it .

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: New Electronic CVA muzzle gun
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 07:24:09 AM »

Nope...don't have one yet...If you can...post some pictures of it...and the groups and also his loads shot with it..

Thanks

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sekiar

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »
I too, have one.  I've read so much BS negative comments elsewhere I have been responding with the following. 
I can't believe so much negative comments are being made about a gun that none have own or shot.  I purchased one and I've been shooting guns of all types for 60 years and being a retired electronic engineer I can tell you CVA has a great product in their new Electra Arc.  If you drive a modern car your life depends on many complex electronic circuits working as you travel along.  I looked over the list of things that could go wrong.  I could give a more pratical list of what does go wrong with many existing muzzle loaders, but why bother.  The CVA will not let a cap fall off, have the tripple -7 ring caused by a too hot primer and the lock time is the fastest I've ever shot in any gun. The battery will not be a problem in cold weather if, as they suggest using a lithium battery I don't hunt any more but if I did this would be the one gun I would use.  And I have many muzzleloaders to chose from.  A large number of people walk around every day with an electronic pace maker and are darn glad because of it.  The biggest problem I've ever hand in a circuit design is the mechanical components failing.  80% of car repairs are mechanical problems.... I'll just bet if you would shoot one of these rifles you too would be surprised in its performance.  Charles

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »
Thanks for the information. I think the negativity comes from being a different concept and it gets further from the "traditional" way of doing things. As far as I am concerned, its one more thing they just have to get over it! ;D

Let us know what kind of loads it likes. I am interested in particular around 100 yards.

Thanks again!

Offline giturgun

• Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
 ;D Sorry no pictures of the rifle or the groups.   He may bring it over again some time , I aquired his XP 100 in 223 fireball to play with for awhile. Have to find some brass, his is old and I like to have new brass to start a project with. Guess I need to break out my old 54 side hammer to muzzle with this year. Was wanting to get a savage ml2 but it just ain't gonna happen right now.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »

I think the negativity comes from being a different concept and it gets further from the "traditional" way of doing things.

It actually comes from a few different places...There are some dedicated ignorant people who want to slam CVA/BPI for something that happened in the past.....Most of these folks have personal axes to grind with the company...These individuals just hate them...no matter what...and will slam them ever chance they get...They really don't have a clue about the company now...nor the products they are making...but yet still insist they are un-safe...Then you have the dedicated TC guys who feel they are clones of them...and hate the fact that they share similar traits...They are almost as bad as the others...but at least most of them are realistic and don't mind seeing a new company trying it's had in the market...and even making some pretty decent barrels for the Encores...Lastly you have the traditionalist who hate any thing modern...these guys are some of the most vocal of the lot...working their butts off to have any modern in-line or the new Electra banned from most MZ seasons...Seems everybody has an axe to grind in one form or another...

Mac

Offline NONYA

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:25:44 PM »
And THEN there are those of us who own a CVa Hunterbolt mag and have loved hunting with it but just dont like the idea of a firearm reliant on electronics to fire.Wasnt there just a test done of several new inlines by a gun rag and the only one that didnt fire wet was this new "advanced" CVA?
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:45:29 AM »

I haven't seen hardly any articles on the new CVA/BPI guns...so I couldn't tell ya...

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 05:24:30 AM »
The current issue of F&S is an All-Gear issue, the Electra is one of the tested muzzleloaders, along with the TC Triumph, Traditions Pursuit XLT Extreme and Traditions Double Express O/U. This is their final comment:

After shooting, we cleaned the guns, loaded and capped them, then submerged them in water for a minute. Next, we removed the guns and test-fired them. All went off except the Electra. In fairness, the Electra is advertised as weatherproof, not waterproof.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 05:34:44 AM »
This is from Field & Stream Blog....Petzal's post (a little more than half-way down the page) http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/01/index.html

Electrifying Muzzleloaders: CVA's New Electronic Ignition System

Here’s one to weigh in on: Three years ago, Remington came out with an electronic ignition system for centerfire cartridges that replaced the conventional one with a trigger that closed a circuit and zapped a current into an electronic primer, which ignited the powder charge. The Etronx system worked very well, but did not succeed commercially for reasons known only beyond my pay grade.

Now, CVA has come up with some very similar to Etronix system in a black-powder rifle. The .50 muzzle-loader, called Electra, dispenses with the beloved 209 shotgun primer, and relies instead upon electronic circuitry (see photo) that sends them volts right into the powder charge. So what you get is a no-movement trigger, lightning-fast ignition, more uniform powder burning, and less mess to clean up.

Electra is powered by a 9-volt lithium battery that is good for 500 shots. That noise you hear is Jim Bridger whirling in his grave.

Now there are two ways to view this:
Electra is an amazing step forward in black powder shooting, and deserves to be a monstrous success.

Electra runs counter to the whole idea of using a muzzleloader, where you’re supposed to be using a primitive weapon. Why not have done with it and develop cartridges for the thing?

Which side are you on?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 05:57:41 AM »

Thanks for the link Dave...

Most traditionalist won't have anything to do with these rifles...just as most traditional archers won't have anything to do with modern compound bows...There will always be factions within factions I am afraid...The old vs the new...then you'll get those who feel it is taking away from the " spirit " of the hunt...blah...blah...blah...It just boils down to a personal choice...and what the various states will allow...Me personally..I like all different type guns...and if it is going to improve accuracy...then go for it..but if a state is going to call what they have a " primitive season" ...then actually make about it primitive...open sights...no sabots..no BP substitute..no caps...flintlocks or matchlocks only...no off road vehicles of any kind...no GPS finders...laser range finders...cell phones..gortex..nylon..stainless steel..or anything else modern...Everything has to be primitive... from what you wear...to what you sleep in ...Otherwise...just call the season the muzzle loader season and be done with it...

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 06:12:18 AM »
OTOH,  you have states like Mississippi that call their muzzleloader season "primitive" that includes the use of certain smokeless cartridge firearms to help manage their apparent out of control deer population.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 09:08:07 AM »
OTOH,  you have states like Mississippi that call their muzzleloader season "primitive" that includes the use of certain smokeless cartridge firearms to help manage their apparent out of control deer population.

Tim

The "long and short" of it, the "Muzzleloader" season, "Flintlock" season, "Primitive" season, "________________"(fill in the blank) season, is just a method for the State's game commissions to have additional kills of deer, and provide additional time for hunters to do so, with restricted regulations. Nothing wrong with it, it's different than taking out the bow, or the 30-06. I always enjoy that time of year.

Of course, on the cynical side, a lot of hunters view it as another way the game commissions take another dip into your wallet. I mean, you already bot a hunting license, now you have to buy another one to hunt with a special gun? It's like here in PA....you buy a fishing license.....30 years ago, you bot it and went fishing....today, you buy a license....then you gotta buy a trout stamp if you want to catch trout.....hell.....that's all I ever went fishing for!!!?????.....What's the damn license for?

Just raise the fees, ....wha....these guys think we are stupid?

Whew......I'm all done now. ;D

Dave

Offline jgalar

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 06:00:09 PM »
It looks to be a capacitor discharge system. A more traditional set up would be to go to the junk yard and pick up an ignition coil, set of points and condenser and a plug wire. Screw a spark plug into the breach and have the points connected to the trigger. I'd get a new lead acid battery to power the ignition and all my other electronic goodies though.

Real traditionalists don't use capacitive discharge - its points or nothing!! >:(

If it floats your boat get one and enjoy it.

Hey, I like the booth babes!!!