Author Topic: Frustrated with Simmons Quality  (Read 915 times)

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Frustrated with Simmons Quality
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »
On the recommendation of John @ Optic Zone, I bought Simmons 44 Mag, others had endorsed it also. After around two years on a CZ .22 Silhouette, the tracking is gone. The guy next to me at the range took his cheap Simmons off and went open sights. He's frustrated, also. I don't have a boat load of money to spend on high dollar scopes. Why should anyone's scope fail after two years on a .22???

The really bad news is that I bought two more when the first one came so highly recommended. If only I had bought Leupold! I will be interested in Mueller; but, I have no interest in poor quality scopes. In the long run quality is worth it.

My other bad is that the failure occurred during a smallbore competition and all these problems could have been avoided with quality. No more cheap scopes for me.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Frustrated with Simmons Quality
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:34:43 AM »
I have ONLY bad experience with Simmons products and have been saying so for years on this site and the many others I used to post to before I set this one up and that was over ten years ago so that tells you how long I've been bad mouthing Simmons.

Mueller on the other hand is not only a sponsor of this site but I have tested one of his scopes and many others have tested and used them as well. So far I've heard no complaints and have none myself other than I keep trying to convince Rich to offer me one without the lighted crosshair feature in a 2-7 or 3-9 which I use primarily. They do have a life time warranty and Rich seems to be in it for the long haul. I believe you'll be save buying Mueller if that's what you decide on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »
 I haven't seen it posted before I'm rather curious . Where are the muller optics made?

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:37:14 AM »
China, I know, I know, I was afraid of them at first. I said oh, another BSA,NC Star, Chicom rebadged hunk of dung, but I was wrong.  I bought a 2-7 multishot.  It has never let me down and I like it better than all of my scopes. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:40:48 AM »
I don't want to say this as fact but I "think" they are assembled in China using Japanese components or maybe only Japanese optics.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »
Quite honestly, you get what you pay for.

I don't like to recommend anything without a life time warranty.

For the money, a Nikon Prostaff is a hard scope to beat and a 3 X 9 can be had new for less than $150.

If you can muster 2 bills then look at a Burris Fullfield II or Bushnell 3200 elite or Leupold VX-I.

Anything without a lifetime warranty is expendable and you should expect a shortened life cycle.

I'm not sure what the warranty is on a Simmons as the few I've had haven't held up that well so I save a little longer and try to find a deal on something else.

I have looked at the Simmons / Meade web site and I couldn't find anything about the warranty.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »
I have ONLY bad experience with Simmons products and have been saying so for years on this site and the many others I used to post to before I set this one up and that was over ten years ago so that tells you how long I've been bad mouthing Simmons.

Me too, i've been calling them "junk" for longer than that, and i've had guys jump all over me for doing so...

I wouldn't pay any money to get one, not even one dollar!!

DM

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 03:46:26 PM »
The Simmons 44 Mag is no longer sold; however, the warranty is "lifetime" to the original purchaser. They're getting this one back.

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 06:52:31 AM »
After trying to talk to Simmons about warranty, trying to talk to Nikon about target turrets and as of today, I know nothing about Mueller and haven't seen a review. I picked up another Leupold. I have two very old, they have always worked and when you call Leupold you can talk to a human and the custom shop will add what you want to the scope and you can count on service and lifetime warranty.

I think they are overpriced, wait; are they???

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »
After trying to talk to Simmons about warranty, trying to talk to Nikon about target turrets and as of today, I know nothing about Mueller and haven't seen a review. I picked up another Leupold. I have two very old, they have always worked and when you call Leupold you can talk to a human and the custom shop will add what you want to the scope and you can count on service and lifetime warranty.

Some are & some aren't.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
I have two very old, they have always worked and when you call Leupold you can talk to a human and the custom shop will add what you want to the scope and you can count on service and lifetime warranty.

Not if you have to buy two or three "lesser" scopes.  I'm sure you'll love the leupold.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline chucky52

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Notwithstanding the lifetime warranty, I don't want repaired cheap. I bit the bullet and bought a new Leupold. I called Simmons customer service and asked for the name of the president of the company, no one knew it. After several long minutes, it's Steve Mullin. I'm returning the scope to Mr. Mullin, personal and confidential with a note that he can keep it. I have no need for repaired cheap and will never purchase a cheap scope again.

Anxious to learn more about Mueller; but, not taking any more big chances on scopes.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:32:07 AM »
We now have a sticky at the top of this forum with a large number of reviews by several people on Mueller scopes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 06:35:09 AM »
Chucky52, The inexpensive scope that is recomended highly IME is the Bushnell Banner. I've never used one but did have several Bushnell Trophys. Scopes take a beating here in Alaska. The trophys held up for a while, but not like the Leupolds I have.

I have a hunting buddy that even goes through Leupolds very fast. The inexpensive scope that I have used and it held up was Swift. They are very nearly as good as a Leupold for half the price. Can't comment on the mullers as I have never used them.

When you take everything into account, I think it is hard to beat a Leupold. The size and weight are less than most brands. They hold up well. Optically they are not the best but they are adequate. If you want top notch glass and european quality at a reasonable price try IOR Valada. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »
The Bushnell Banner is a good scope. The Mueller is better.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:01:28 PM »
You did fine by buying the Leupold.  Leupold may lag a bit in optical quality (although not in my opinion) but scores huge in customer service.  Leupold is not some fly by night company but rather a company with a long history of quality and service.

Some say they're over priced.  Yes, they are going the be higher priced than a comparable Chinese made scope but if there is a problem you can pick up the phone and talk to an american who will in almost all cases resolve your problem to your satisfaction.

No one ever did bad buying a Leupold IMO........
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »
All you say about the Leupold is true VC but other than being made in US the same could be said for Mueller as well. True they've not been around as long but have been around quite a few years and seem to grow bigger each year. They have the same warranty as Leupold and you can also pick up a phone and talk with an American who will handle your problem for you. Not only that the American will be the man who owns the company not a hired hand who might or might not have the best interest of all in mind. While at Leupold they do seem to it's Rich's personal reputation riding on each complaint where as at Leupold it's not.

That is not to put down Leupold as I have a lot of them and do like them but they are not the only game in town by any means. Several others have the same warranty and some do have better optical quality tho I'm not aware of any with any better mechanical quality and I do love the compact size of them in comparison to most of the competition. That and the long eye relief are to me the main selling points in their favor these days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 02:06:27 PM »

I have a 2x8 Leopold that is a GREAT scope that I have used and abused for years on a 30.06 custom springfield that my grandfather left me.

I have a 2x7 Mueller on a .308 Handi.  I actually think I like it better.  That sight picture and that range of magnification suits me fine.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 04:19:39 AM »
  In all the years i've been spending time in the bush, the scope i've depended on "by far" the most is Leupold.  I can honestly say, i've never had one fail in the field, and after a few years of living with them in the bush on extended hunts, i even quit carrying a spare into camp.

Of course, i admit to being rather handy with a 44 mag revolver, and i ALWAYS carried that everyplace i went! Even when flying, i always had it in a shoulder holster and knew i coud use that if my rifle/scope failed....

I've seen quite a few scopes fail over the years, and there are brands i wouldn't even trust to use...  But i still have the origional Leupolds on my "main" hunting rifles.  Some of them i put on my guns around 1970 and have seen some unbelievable hunting conditions and still work today like they are new...

There may be some scopes today that are just as good as a Leupold, but what brand that's in Leupolds price range has a track record like Leupold does?  Leupold has earned my respect for building a tough scope that i know will work every time i take it out into the bush, and that's were i'd put my money for any gun that i had to depend on.

After having said all of that, i'll add that don't mind having a cheaper scope on a 22 or some other plinker, and i'm thinking of buying a Mueller to try out...

DM