Author Topic: H&R Trapdoor carbine  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Tennessee.Traveler

• Trade Count: (1)
H&R Trapdoor carbine
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:05:03 AM »
I went to the local gun show this weekend and saw two beautiful rifles. They both were 1862 Springfield trap-door carbines that were made by H&R until the “70’s”.  They were in like new condition and probably unfired.  They were both carbines but had different stock and sight configurations.  One was military type sights with straight stock and the other was equipped with a tang sight mounted to the wrist of the stock with a through bolt that ended in a pistol grip type extension on the underside that was topped off with a metal medallion, mush like on the pistol grips of fine guns today.

Does anyone know anything about these rifles?  They are much higher quality than the imports on the market today.  Now that H&R has the financial backing of Marlin and the market is ripe for new “old 45/70s”, I wonder if it could be reintroduced again?  (Like Remington did with the model 600 in .350 Rem Mag. a couple years ago)
Tennessee_Traveler

Offline Sourdough

Re: H&R Trapdoor carbine
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:34:40 PM »
They made them in Infentry, Officers, and  Calvery models if I'm not mistaken.  The ones you discribed sounds like the Infantry and Officers models.  The Calvery model had a saddle ring mounted on the left side.  Rog

By the way, Tennessee Travler:  What part of Tennessee aqre you in?  I was in Hendersonville, and Carthridge last month.  I usually go down there every winter.  I was born and raised there, but have lived in Alaska now for 38 years.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:48:40 PM »
Isn't 1862 a little early for the "Trapdoor"?
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »
Here's a link I posted in another H&R trapdoor thread, there are several others, but this is the only one that's still valid. :'(

Tim

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/ggps/8241/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
1865 was the first year the Springfield armory made the trapdoors.  They used an 1861 Civil War Musket and modified it to become the 1865 Trapdoor.  When H&R made them I remember I drooled for weeks,  but could not afford one then on a GIs pay.  I don't remember what numbers H&R used.  But I wanted the short one with the saddle ring, I believe it was the Calvary model.  I do now own a H&R 1861, in 58 Caliber.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Tennessee.Traveler

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 06:10:48 AM »
1862 is a typo!  The models I was interested in were 1873 Springfields made by H&R in 1973 as centennial reproductions! :)
Tennessee_Traveler