Author Topic: Two ejectors won't eject.  (Read 458 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Two ejectors won't eject.
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:55:29 PM »
Really got frustrated today, took two Handi's to the range today.  Both would not eject the empties.  When loading, cartridges slip right past the ejector.  All it takes to get them out is to point the gun up and tap the stock on the bench, or just slap the side of the gun with your hand and the empty falls out.  So they are not sticking in the chamber, the ejector is falling to catch the rims.  One was my new .223 Ultra, the other was on a spare .223 barrel I have.  Calling H&R tomorrow to see what can be done.  First time I have ever had ejectors fail. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Two ejectors won't eject.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:19:50 AM »
Maybe a good R&R is in order, clean and reassemble, could be broken lifter button springs, but for both to break at the same time doesn't make sense. See Ejector info in the FAQs. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:23:17 AM »
Quick:  These are new barrels, never been fired before.  Took them both apart and reassembled.  Everything is in order there.  The problem is that the ejector does not engage the cartridge.  It's too short, the brass just slides right by without touching the ejector.  On all my other ones the ejector slides down the case as I load it into the chamber, then sort of locks into the grove around the head of the case before the case goes all the way in.  The ejector stopes the case from going all the way into the chamber till the action is closed.  Not so on these.  My fear is that they will have to replace the barrels with ones with extractors, in which case they are out of here.  I bought this Ultra simply because it was the last one with ejectors that Sportsman's Warehouse had in stock.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Wonder if they installed the wrong ejector in them, if they used 30-06 ejectors instead of 223 ejectors, the post would be too short. Compare the post height to your 30-06 barrel. And just a note,  I assume the lifter button and spring were present in both barrels. :D

Tim

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:25 AM »
All my non rimmed Ejector cases slid past the ejector...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:41:56 AM »
They will due to the lifter button spring, but once the action is closed, the ejector will slip in behind the rim and eject it when the action is opened. If the spring/button is missing or broken, it won't catch the rim, but the same would happen if the ejector post is too short. Been there done it with converting a rimmed ejector to rimless. :-\

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
I had the same problem with my 223 this spring,so I called them and ask about sending it in to get it fixed and that I liked the ejector and didn't want a new barrel and would be glad to pay for parts and repair.Well paid to ship it to them with credit card number to pay any cost and for a new hammer extension,totaly shocked me when it came back in couple weeks fixed with new extension and marked no cost!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers