Author Topic: Which rifle  (Read 412 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Which rifle
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:29:49 AM »
I have a Marlin 1985 in 45-70 stainless, Remington .300 mag model 700 BDL blue, an 8mm Mauser blue of course, a .308 Ruger 77 stainless, and a Browning BLR .308 blue.  I am trying to find a stainless CFR bolt gun in .375 HH with iron sights.  .  I'm inclined to believe the .300 mag is the best overall, but it doesn't have CFR and I like Rugers safety better.    In about 3-5 years I plan on going to Africa.  I love stainless, but I also like iron sights as back up to a damaged scope if needed.  I also think I might need to get a 3006.  I like Ruger bolts the best, but they don't manufacture iron sights on their rifles except the large magnums.  I recently discovered Sako's bolt is CFR but not sure if they make stainless.  I want to hunt bear (both grizzly and black, moose, caribou, and elk within the next 2-3 years as time permits.   I've only hunted deer in the south and black bear in upstate New York and used my .308's.   Until then, which of these are best for Alaska and western big game?

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Which rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:16:31 AM »
If controlled feed is important to you, then IMHO it's a toss up between the Ruger and the Mauser.  8mm Mauser would probably have a slight knockdown-power advantage over .308 Win, but I doubt the animals will notice the difference.  Whicever feels best in your hands.

As to you needing a .30-06 - despite being a huge '06 fan (I've owned 3 - currently have 2), I don't think it'll do anything for you that your existing rifles don't.  Unless you just want one to have one (and there's certainly no harm in that :)), then I don't think it'd be necessary.

I'm actually hoping to go to Africa too, and am trying to figure out what to get a .375 H&H in.  I've got an old Enfield 1917 action that I've thought ".375 H&H here I come" about for a while, but it's a project I keep putting off.  Then I've thought about the T/C Encore in .375 H&H (I really want one of those and the main next cartridge I want is .375 H&H, but I'm not sure I'd trust a single shot in safari hunting situations).  We'll see as time goes on :).

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »
The Ruger M77 "African" or "Alaskan" Chambered in the New .375 Ruger might be my choice.  I see controlled feed as a non-issue but if you want it, the Ruger has it.

I'd probably just buy 2 Remington 700s in the calibers of choice myself.  It's nearly impossible to beat a Remington.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:32:16 AM »
Why do a lot of the professional hunters recommend control round feed in your rifles?  Positive extraction after firing the rifle, would to me be more critical than control feeding.  Extracting a split or expanded shell would be more critical.  Would not push feed be just fine?  I guess I am saying in the earlier part of the 20th century quality control of ammo might not have been as good as today, and also rifle manufacture.  Just wondering. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »
Push feed is just fine.  A Remington 700 will never fail to feed or extract (even upside down) unless you short stroke it.  That can happen with any bolt action design.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~