Author Topic: What bullets, primers and powders have you tried in your CVA?  (Read 991 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Looking to start a discussion on different loads for CVA's. I've only had my Optima for a few weeks now and only have tried a couple different loads. What have you all tried? What has worked and what has not?

I have tried the .50 Powerbelt Aerotip 223 gr. over 100gr of Pyrodex Select RS with Winchester W209 primers. Gives excellent accuracy at 50 yards with the iron sights but I think that particular projectile may not be sealing against the gasses at ignition due to low velocity. At 110 gr. of the same Pyrodex and primers the groups open up a little but still are more than adequate at 50 yards. Goex FFG BP gives nearly the identical performance concerning accuracy. Just dirties up the bore quicker. I've tried some hard cast .44 lead handgun bullets in Knight sabots but since I don't know the exact weight of the bullets I'm going to hold off on shooting anymore for now. However I did see good accuracy from them. I'm going to try some of the T/C conicals next. The Maxi-Ball in 370gr. and the Maxi-Hunter in 350gr. Has anyone gave these a try? I'm also curious as to how well a heavier Powerbelt would do in my Optima, say something like the 348gr Aerotip or the 338 gr Aerotip Platinum? I'm wondering if the heavier ones would expand in the bore better upon ignition? I see some of you from other posts have used the XTP and Barnes MZ sabots. What say all of you?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: What bullets, primers and powders have you tried in your CVA?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:33:14 AM »

I've only tried a couple of bullets with the pellets and had no luck with it at all......I've also tried regular Winchester 209's against the newer MZ #7 as well...with them doing much much better...I have good luck with 110 gr.volume measured  FF Pyrodex...I will be trying some of the Precision Rifle's 180gr.QT swagged ballistic tipped bullets and some of their Elite 260 gr. hollow points along with a Vari-flame adapter in a few weeks to see how that does...I have a box of 250 gr. Hornady SST/ML sabot and a pack of Nosler's 260 gr. Partitions to shoot too...I recently got to join a real nice shooting club and just haven't had a-lot of time to enjoy it...This will be changing...and soon...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sabothunter

• Minnesota Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 03:59:03 AM »
I have a kodiak in 50 cal. I use 100gr. 777 pellets w/ winchester w209 to push a 300gr speer GDHP w/ harvester crushrib sabot and I get clover leafs at 50yds and 2-3 at 100yds. I have try different loads and combos of bullets but this one seem to shoot the best for my gun. I dropped my biggest buck in his track last year with this combo. The only thing that bothers me about this combo is that the speer bullet is kind of hard to find in stores around me so I have to order on the internet only.
Practice make perfect!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:42:11 AM »

...Congratulations on a  nice buck you took Sabothunter..

Mac.
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 05:09:43 AM »
Nice buck sabothunter! As stated before, I really like the 300g hornady xtp with 90g of 777 2F and harvester crushed sabot in my Optima. I have also tried the speers with the same results. As sabothunter indicated the speers are tougher to find so I have continued with the xtp

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »
My favorite load right now for my CVA Kodiak Pro-Magnum is WW 209 primers, 100 grains of loose Pyrodex Powder and 270 grain Powerbelt Platinum bullets. Very tight groups at 100 yards...

Offline crkempton

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:32:09 PM »
I own a standard CVA Optima .50 Cal, and my best luck has been with 300 grain .44 Hornady XTP bullets, in #6750 Green Sabots, using 95 grains of pyrodex RS, and Rem. Kleenbore primers. Nothing fancy, but it works well for me, shot my first elk (actually first animal of any kind) this past fall with this very same combination!  ;D -Cody K