Author Topic: New .44 Mag Range Report  (Read 553 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
New .44 Mag Range Report
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »
I received this barrel from NEF last May.  It slugged out to .429/.430.  As reported at that time, I slugged only the first 3-4 inches from the bore.  The previous range report I posted was with Winchester 240 gr. soft point factory ammo. 

I worked up some loads using Win. 296, CCI 300 and 350 primers and Remington bulk 240 gr soft points from Cabela's.

Here are the details:

Handi rifle with synthetic stocks.  The serial number begins with NS.
Scope: Bushnell Sportsman 3X9X32
Mount: Weaver
Rings: Leupold Rifleman

EDIT:  Forgot to add that there are no modifications to this rifle.

Temperature:  70 degrees.  Humid.  Overcast skies.  No breeze.
Time: Between 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM

Scope adjustments were not made during the testing.

I am pleased with the groups. I learned that the first shot through a cold barrel consistently goes high, as can be seen on one group from both distances.  However, after the first shot the group settles down on target.  Also, successive shots doesn't seem to affect the accuracy.  At both distances, each shot was fired one after the other.  I didn't set out to do this initially, but when I noticed I continued shooting to see what would happen. 

Recoil for each load was light.  Probably in the .30-30 range.
Cases and primers looked good.
The case lengths were not identical, but were under max length per the Sierra manual

Excuse the technicality of the information. I know that this caliber is controversial at the moment and wanted to provide as much information I thought pertinent for those who may be interested in one.

First group: 50 yards.  Notice the high first shot.

Second group: 50 yards.

Third group: 50 yards

First group:  100 yards.  Again, notice the high first shot.  Cool down from 50 yards approximately 20 minutes.

Second group:  100 yards.  Apologies for cutting off half the lower shot in the photo.

Thanks.  Hope this helps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New .44 Mag Range Report
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »
Good work Joe, and nice shooting!! This should dispell some of the apprehension about 44mag accuracy from current production barrels, every 2007 range report has shown to be very enlightening. In fact, I sent a frame off yesterday for a 44mag and 357mag barrel. ;D

Thanks for the in depth report, ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
Good work Joe, and nice shooting!! This should dispell some of the apprehension about 44mag accuracy from current production barrels, every 2007 range report has shown to be very enlightening. In fact, I sent a frame off yesterday for a 44mag and 357mag barrel. ;D

Thanks for the in depth report, ;)

Tim

Thanks, Tim.

At the area where I would use the .44 for deer, I would probably not get further than a 35-40 yard shot.  So, I am rather excited about the load results.  And ... I'll be sending a frame out for a .357 barrel as well.  Hoping to get it out this week before they're all gone.

Joe

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »
The 50yd group shows some good trigger work.
But that is the widest cold barrel shot I have seen.
For the 100yd shot was the power setting on the scope the same as the 50yd?
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 11:02:55 PM »
The 50yd group shows some good trigger work.
But that is the widest cold barrel shot I have seen.
For the 100yd shot was the power setting on the scope the same as the 50yd?

I am a bit curious about the cold shots, as well.  They very well could have been my fault.  However, the high first shot was consistent for each group fired during that range session.

Power setting:  Yes.  The scope adjustments were the same during all shooting.  Shooting at 4X.